Chapter 22

(Recap)

“Please stay Sunshine. For me.”

She sighed and moved her face away from my hold, dropping her hands in the process.

“Hunter, you can’t ask this of me. This is too important, please understand. If it was your family in there, would you just sit by or will you go after them?”

I realized that I would never be able to talk her out of it and she would go with or without me. Nothing could stop her, not even the news that she would die if she left. I leaned forward, slipping one hand on her waist and the other in the back pocket to retrieve the tranquillizer and I kissed her like it was my last kiss, she kissed me back just as passionately. I pulled back once I managed to uncap the needle and with our lips still touching I whispered,

“Forgive me.”

She looked confused and I stuck the needle into her neck, directly into the main artery, injecting the drug straight into her system. I quickly pulled the needle out and threw it on the ground, I never slacked my hold on her waist. She immediately put her hand on the area that I injected and tried to pull out of my grasp.

“What have you done?”

She looked at the needle and looked back at me, and the look she gave me, cut me into a million pieces. The hurt and utter betrayal, on her face nearly brought me to my knees.

Her eyes were getting heavy and her legs gave out. I caught her before she hit the floor, and held her tight and answered her

“I’m saving the one I love.”

Her hand fell limp and her eyes fluttered closed, and I sat on the floor holding her close to me, silently begging her to forgive me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 22

Snow’s POV

I felt sluggish and drained, like every little bit of energy I had in my body was sapped out leaving me feeling like a dead weight. I could hear voices but they sounded far away and muffled. I tried moving my arms or wriggling my toes, but the strain was too much and I was still too weak, I couldn’t even open my eyes. How did I get like this?

I felt myself slipping back into unconsciousness once again; when I next woke I could hear a bit better and I could at least move my fingers.

In a sort of distant muffle, almost like I was submerged under water, slowly surfacing, I listened to the sounds that carried through to my hazy mind. I heard voices talking, they sounded so far at first, slowly getting closer by the second, and the more I listened the less hazy everything became. I heard Hunter’s voice and he sounded stressed. I tried to keep my breathing deep, like I was still asleep, so that I could try and figure out what had happened to me and why I felt so drained. Then slowly, like watching a slow moving car about to hit you head on, it came back to me, and the amount of hurt and betrayal I felt was almost too much to hold in. I felt Hunter turn his eyes towards me; watching me for a while, no doubt feeling the sudden rise and then drop in my mood, before he continued talking.

“How many where lost?”

“Just over three hundred sir.”

“OVER THREE HUNDRED?!” He was quiet for a little while then asked, “And what of my father? “

There was silence; I barely managed to open my eyes, and I saw a young man standing in front of Hunter with his head bowed in respect but he also had a sad look on his face. Hunter’s back was towards me and the shirt he wore was half tucked in and creased; his hair looked to be a mess too. I couldn’t see his front, but I was guessing he wasn’t looking all that good right now. He stood straight and proud, like a fearless warrior, betraying none of his emotions in his stance, while he waited for a reply.