Chapter 24 - Fight Fire With Love

Fire.

Every corner I turned, the flourishing flames would crawl even farther up the walls. They dominated the room I was in -- the room I was somehow able to identify as my own through the lethal smoke that constricted my throat and conquered my vision. I stared helplessly until all I could see was the yellow and orange of the element that was so strangely exquisite. My trembling fingers grasped the sheets underneath me. My heart racing with terror, I leapt from the bed when I saw that the fire had begun climbing up the posts and reaching for my legs.

The carpeted floor was untouched--not even singed by the branching flames that seethed in my face like a wild animal frothing at the mouth, threatening to cause me pain with the simplest of contact. It had to be a dream. How else was I alive and not suffocating? I stood, my feet anchored onto the floor, and watched the wall before me crumble to my feet. It only gave the fire more way-- a path it could take to only strengthen itself. I found myself walking through the space where the wall had once been.

My feet seemed like they knew where to go as they carried me farther down the room, following the flames that succumbed this room just as it had done to mine. It seemed as if it had a life of its own; the blazing fire one not to he reckoned with as it crawled menacingly in front of me, baiting me into following it. And for the most twisted reason I could not decipher enough to understand, it felt as if the longer I followed the fire, the more its intention of hurting me faded. The smoke that was suffocating my lungs had long since ceased to affect me, my skin remaining intact; not burned when it would come in contact with the perilous fire.

It was like I trusted the fire to guide me; to show me the way to something I had no idea I was even looking for.

I stopped when the flames did. And through the barrier of smoke and debris from the crumbling ceiling, I was able to make out a lean figure. The smoke soon dissipated, giving my eyes access to whoever was standing before me.

His magnificent blue eyes were shining--glowing almost, a beautiful contrast to the permanent destruction surrounding us. He outstretched his arms, urging me to follow him. And I did.

I didn't question his motives or why he wasn't being affected by the fire just like me. Instead, I trailed behind him as he led me through a series of rooms. The flames had now given me the lead. They would follow me as I followed the boy through the continuously crumbling walls.

 And suddenly, my feet failed me. I fell to the ground without the simplest idea of why. The boy ran, and I knew that he believed I was still behind him.

And my mind only erupted with more questions when I called out for him.

 "Wait!" My restless voice was distant; hollow, ringing through the room with the slightest of echoes. I felt like I was listening to someone else speak. Someone that wasn't me. But I didn't pay any more attention to that. Instead, a wave of relief washed over my conflicted features when I saw the boy had stopped. He turned around, but his face was still shadowed--hidden, his eyes being the only way for me to identify him.

 "Louis," I found myself standing up, inching closer to him as I spoke, "Will you help me?" I didn't know I needed help. I didn't know until the fire that had stopped following me long ago returned, circling me as I stared unfazed at the person my mind believed so strongly was Louis.

And then something strange happened.

The fire I trusted so much began racing towards my feet, it's deadly smoke making my throat tighten. I stared helplessly at Louis as his head moved vertically in a nod. He held his hand out for me, urging me to take it.