Chapter 34 - Ten Months Later

Ten months ago, Charlotte McVerry, daughter of esteemed socialites Rita and Brian McVerry was declared missing by an unnamed source. Unofficial investigations soon pursued, and it became apparent that Charlotte McVerry had disappeared from the public eye. Questions and accusations were fired at the teenager's parents, who deliberately avoided speaking about to topic, saying that everything was under control. Until a month after the disappearance, when Rita McVerry agreed to an exclusive interview with a prestigious news station, hoping to put an end to the rumors and turmoil. She claimed that her daughter had not disappeared, but was taking a break, the news of the couple's abrupt divorce impacting her tremendously, along with the rest of the world.

Today marks the ten month anniversary and still not a single new photo has been released of Charlotte. Her prolonged "break" has arisen questions of all sorts:

The divorce has been settled, so isn't it about time Charlotte came out of hiding?

Where could she be--and why hasn't anyone recognized her?

And is this cover story veiling a truth darker than we imagined?

* * * 

*Harry's POV*

"How is she?"

There was shuffling. And then what seemed to be much too prominent in the past then months, constantly clawing at the entire band and everyone who was even remotely close to Charlotte. Silence.

The world was still spinning, I was sure of it. The sun still blazed, the moon still shined and the stars still gleamed, there's no way of denying it. The birds chirped on time in the mornings and the rain still hit the ground as pellets in London. But all else had gone silent. The birds weren't loud enough and the rain not as magnificent. Charlotte was gone and it felt like she took a part if London with her. Though everything was universally the same as it had always been, everything in my world had changed.

Rose laughed, "You've asked that question a few times already, Harry."

"That's because I haven't gotten the answer I want to hear."

She only sighed.

"I have to pry her mouth open to get food into it. She says she's happy, that she isn't dying inside, but you and I know that's not the case. She's been working two jobs, even though she has enough money to last her a good two decades without one. All in all, she's broken. She isn't herself."

I tightened my grip on the device, pressing it even harder to my ear.

When I wasn't able to find words, Rose continued.

"You tell me. How are things on your end?"

It was a question that I knew exactly how to answer. But the answer was a dreary one. I guess you don't know just how severe depression can be until you see someone close to you suffer through it. It was eating him alive, devouring his soul bit by bit until all that was left of him was someone unrecognizable; someone who was sad and angry and regretful and nothing more.

"He sits and he watches the news. He reads the paper, checks online for any sign of where she might be. Ever since Eleanor broke the engagement, he's been looking for Charlotte. He wants to fix things, Rose, and keeping this secret from him is becoming harder day by day."

I stared down at the pile of newspapers on the coffee table. The rustled papers were scattered across the light oak, all with names of various cities and maps. I had arrived at Louis' flat to pick him up for a gig, and he had disappeared into his bedroom only minutes after to get ready.

 Louis was searching for her; I was sure of it. On top with the piles and piles of magazines and newsletters laid a notepad. The handwriting was messy and undoubtedly Louis'. I picked it up and peered closely, trying to make sense of the entangled words. It soon dawned on me that they were names of major cities all around the world. Paris, Beijing, and Sydney were at the top of the list, and a lame attempt had been made to cross them out.

"This isn't right, Harry. It's not how things were supposed to go."

A shaky breath let loose from my lips. I was aware that Rose had just spoken, but I didn't realize until then just how devastated Louis was. He had actually traveled to three countries in just the past week to look for Charlotte? It was rather impulsive and a vain attempt, but his feelings for her obviously failed to fade even after ten months. In fact, they had only grown stronger.

I found myself setting the notepad back in its spot and switching the cell phone to my left ear.

"We need to fix this," I said rather confidently.

"But how?"

 My teeth sunk into my lower lip in thought. I knew that I had to get off of the phone soon, because Louis had just turned the shower off.

"What do you do when someone's lost?"

"You help them find their way back home," Rose was quick to answer, but the tone of her voice portrayed skepticism. I smiled, my mind racing with newfound ideas and plans.

I had watched two of my closest friends give away everything for each other, without even being aware of the magnitude of their sacrifices. They lost themselves to a force that drove them away from each other's love; away from the strongest bond I'd ever witnessed. I never quite understood how two people could truly belong together. Until I met them.

 "Charlotte's lost herself, Rose. And we're going to bring her home."

(a/n) Extremely short chapter, I know. But this is from a different character's POV so I wanted to write it as a separate chapter because I still have two more POVs to write from and I didn't wanna confuse you guys! There wasn't much to this chapter, it's more of a filler. It just helps me get to where I wanna go to next with this story. The next (and final) chapter will make up for this, I promise! It'll be long and cute and you'll find out more about charlotte and such :)