Chapter 2 - A New City, A New Friend

~ Edited ~

"Charlotte! It's 8 a.m. and you have golf with Rodney today!" I groaned, blocking the sound of my mother's angry voice by placing a pillow over my head. I was not in to mood to speak to anyone today. Especially not Rodney.

"Charlotte!" I heard a few minutes later when I was dozing off again, followed by loud steps that got closer by the second. I was so close to suffocating myself with my pillow, but too bad my mother just had to barge in.

 I sank deeper into bed and pulled the thick blanket so I was completely buried underneath it. The scent of lavender detergent filled my nostrils as I plunged deeper into the sheet. My curtains were already pulled back, sending beams of sunlight to hit my bed, making me cower in my blankets even farther. 

"Charlotte Marie, why is it so hard to get you up? You need to start getting ready, now!" My mother yelled as she stomped over and ripped my covers off of my cold body, leaving me shivering. I tried my best not to get angry with her, which proved to be a difficult task.

"Can't I stay in today? I don't feel well," I lied through my teeth, sitting up in bed and clutching my stomach to make it seem like I was in pain. My mother narrowed her eyes and walked over to my closet to pull out a pair of pink capris along with a white v-neck and windbreaker. Looks like she wasn't buying it. She threw the clothing on my bed and dived back into the closet, probably looking for my visor.

I sat there silently watching her raid my closet. "Charlotte, why can't you dress like Donna's or Caitlin's children? They have the latest clothes and oh my goodness, look at this. What is this?" She questioned increduously, walking out of the closet. Her fingers were pinching the black material of my Beatles shirt by the collar, as if she was holding a dead rat. I jumped out of bed and grabbed it from her, hugging it to my chest. Annoyance was prominent in her features as she raised one perfectly-waxed eyebrow. I stared back, my expression dull. The day had only begun and she was already trying to ruin it for me. 

She began walking out of the room, mumbling something along the lines of, "She doesn't even try for me." Then on her way down the stairs she shouted, "Be down before 9:30!"

I sighed and flopped back down on my bed, dreading the golf lesson with Rodney. He was the only child of my parents' best friends, the Fultons', and just as snobby and cocky as every other person my parents associated with.

I got up and trudged into the bathroom with my clothes clutched tightly in hand. I brushed my teeth and stared at my reflection in the mirror, taking in my usual appearance. My curly, light brown hair was all over the place, making me look ridiculous. I traced the heavy bags that were prominent underneath my tired hazel eyes as memories of last week flooded my already preoccupied mind.

"That's not true. You have other reasons for why you smoke." He had said, still looking at me with curious, narrowed eyes. 

"You don't know anything about me." I had responded, feeling annoyed.

"I don't need to know anything to know smoking isn't good for you."

Why did Louis care whether I smoked or not? I mean, of course my parents weren't aware of my addiction and if they were to find out, I'd be shipped off to some kind of rehabilitation center and let's not forget to mention the fact that they'd be embarrassed to even be associated with me. But I do admit, much to my annoyance, that Louis was right. I did have my reasons. Sometimes, carrying the burden of needing to be perfect tweny-four-seven for the image of my parents, who, might I add, didn't exactly care about me, was really stressful. And one day when I had had enough, I decided to do something to make my life not so "perfect." I started smoking and I don't have any motivation or intention to stop.