Chapter 3 - Coincidence

~ Edited ~ 

***

"102.. 102.." I whispered under my breath as I ventured down the hallway, scanning the wooden doors for the foreign number. I glanced down at the watch smugly hugging my wrist. I was ten minutes earlier than we had planned. Would it be okay to arrive so early? The stunted idea of waiting in my car for those ten minutes lingered faintly in the back of my mind, but I decided against it when I stepped foot in front of the mahogany door labeled 102. I picked nervously at the rough fabric of my jeans, before wiping my clammy hands on the material. 

First impressions weren't exactly my strength. Maybe it was because although the person may have never met me, he or she believed every concocted word that was plastered on the cover of too many magazines.

I shook the negative thoughts out of the mind, and tried to ignore my nerves, which were rocketing upwards like a skyscraper.

"Have fun, you're here to have fun," I comforted myself before raising my hand and softly knocking on the door. The sound echoed down the deserted corridor, bouncing off of the embellished walls and velvet linings. The hallway that housed Liam's flat was peculiar. There were five very spaced out apartments, ones that seemed like they could be worth millions based on the ridiculously expensive building I was currently in.

After a few seconds of silence and flourishing anticipation, I slightly raised my fist once again, but it fell back to my side once the door flew open. In front of my stood a boy, clad in exactly what Danielle had predicted he would be dressed in. Royal blue plaid shirt overlaying beige chinos. His hair was short, crisp, styled neatly.

"You must be Charlotte," he spoke first, his voice pleasant. I nodded meekly as he ushered me inside the flat. The monstrous sized flat, that is. The living room alone was bigger than my bedroom and living room combined, which was quite big considering my house was basically considered a mansion. The area surrounding me was surprisingly clean, making it obvious that Liam had put effort into creating a presentable environment.

"Yes, and you're Liam?" I asked. 

My voice was calm, collected -- completely deceiving my emotions.

"That's me," Liam smiled, "here, why don't you sit down? Danielle should be here with the guys in a few. I'm going to go bring out some snacks," he added, nodding over to the couch before heading towards the kitchen.

"Thanks," I smiled warmly and obliged. If the rest of the guys were like Liam, then this wouldn't be too bad. My body sunk effortlessly into the leather material as I crossed my legs, then uncrossed them. I wanted to pull my hair out for being so nervous. This was nothing to be nervous about, I had made a friend and she asked me to hang out. Then why was I feeling so uncomfortable sitting in this stranger's house, when she would be here in only a few minutes?

I shifted uncomfortably and finally stood up, fixing the cushions from where I had indented them. I made and effort to slow down my thoughts, so I began scanning the room. I couldn't help my curiosity from peeking at the sight of a large picture frame hanging in the center of the wall to my right, along with smaller frames surrounding it.

I peered closer at the navy blue painted wall, and studied the largest picture. I couldn't make out their faces so I got up and took a few steps forward. Every frame bordered five guys, ones that seemed very familiar. I studied their appearances, struggling to grasp the names. The biggest photo was one of the five guys standing on a stage. The slightly shorter one sporting blonde hair held an award in his hand and a proud smile graced his child-like face. My eyes traveled down the row, widening when they landed on a face that seemed all too familiar. I gasped audibly when my eyes landed on the boy with his arm slung around Liam's shoulder.