Chapter 1 - A Bit Hypocritical

~Edited~

I picked at the dark satin material that was wrapped tightly around my thighs. I could have easily blamed the smoldering lights above me for the beads of sweat that were forming on my forehead, but I knew better than that. The fact that a trifle blunder such as tripping over my own feet or allowing my smile to falter the smallest bit could quite possibly be plastered on the face of every magazine in England tends to make me nervous. I made a feeble attempt at gulping away the nerves as my eyes scanned the elegant hall. Exquisite chandeliers patterned the ceiling, and in the center, hung the biggest of them all, bordered with dangling crystal clear shards of glass that remained frozen in place. People swarmed excitedly around the hall, circling the two hosts of the party: my parents.

 My legs wobbled involuntarily every time I placed one high heel-graced foot in front of the other. My parents waved me over eagerly, with huge smiles on their lips. To everyone else, the smiles symbolized pride for their daughter. But not everyone could be as knowing as me. The way the couple's eyes scrutinized my every move, every breath, could only be seen as threats, warnings, pleads. They spoke the one phrase they knew best: Charlotte Marie McVerry, don't you dare embarrass us.

The crowd in front of me parted simultaneously, creating a narrow path with my parents awaiting me at end. Everyone was watching the daughter of the world's richest couple as she made her way to her parents. They were judging her, looking for even the smallest of flaws to gossip about. I fidgeted with my fingers nervously and resisted the temptation to allow a sigh of relief to escape my lips when I finally stopped by my mother's side. The families around us erupted into hushed whispers, but soon enough, my father's booming voice swept across the room, silencing every voice effortlessly. Behold, the power of Brian McVerry.

"We hope," he began, pausing for the cameras that were flashing from every corner. Anyone could tell his love for the amount of attention he was recieving.

"We hope that our arrival in London will bring many great things. The company has been going strong, and this is only the beginning of many, many more years of prospering. With my wife, Rita, and my daughter, Charlotte, we will take this business to so many new levels. New stores, now companies, and new clients are only a taste of what's to come."

My parents' company, McVerry Industries, was known around the whole globe. My mother worked as a fashion designer and model, famous for her widely-known clothing line. My father was the head of the whole operation. He regulated business, commerce, and everything else that my mother didn't. The two were respected greatly by the whole business world. 

So it wasn't a surprise when applauds and cheers erupted throughout the entire hall. The crowd's acute attention was brought to where my mother and I were standing once our names left my father's mouth. Mother's elbow discretely nudged me in the side, reminding me that every pair of eyes in the room was on me. I self-consciously tugged at the hem of my dress and waved to the crowd, praying that my actions would be pleasing enough to the people. And when the sound of clapping swept across the room, I knew that they were. 

"Posture," Mother took the guests' deafening claps and cheers as an opportunity to whisper the command into my ear. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes and complied by straightening my shoulders. Pleasure swam in the eyes of my mother when she saw that I had obeyed her command, and she returned her attention to the party guests. 

"We hope each and every one of you enjoy your night, and thank you for coming!" she finished, earning another round of applause. I huffed and crossed my arms across my chest, letting my shoulders slump when my parents weren't looking. The crowd dispersed seconds after, allowing me to relax. Having people watch my every move was something I never grew accustomed to.