Finding, Plotting, Falling

Sutton was not able to fully avoid Maggie and Avery the next day. She had succeeded in making it to lunch without running into them, but as she tried to leave Star Tower for a little cafe down the block, they caught up with her.

"Sutton! Hey! Wait up, girl!"

Obediently, Sutton's feet froze and she gave a silent groan to the heavens.

What had she done to deserve this?

She liked Maggie and Avery, she really did. She would like them more if they weren't so set on her dating someone. Like it was a necessity to secure her happiness or something. Avery actually wasn't as bad about it, the girl knew when to back off the topic, but Maggie saw it as her personal mission in life to play matchmaker.

"Hey guys. Didn't see you there," Sutton fibbed. "I was just heading to lunch."

Avery grinned, her brilliant white teeth shining out from dark skin.

"Perfect! So were we."

Maggie nodded in consensus and the hair on the side of her head that wasn't shaved brushed against her face.

"Were you heading to that little cafe," she asked. "You usually go there, don't you?"

There would be no getting rid of them. Sutton nodded and accepted the fact that lunch would not be as quiet as she'd hoped. Curse her for her habit for routines!

"Yeah, come on. You guys can join me."

All three of them settled into a table outside since the day was so nice and ordered a light lunch. Sutton didn't think that she could handle much more than that with the girls stressing her out compounded with her mystery symptoms. Surprisingly enough, they didn't mention Axel straight away. Sutton found herself relaxing into chatter about the local going-ons with Stark Tower and that new fashion line that had just been released by the Olsens. Sutton's stomach had hardly churned once. And then the subject casually turned to Maggie's boyfriend and she knew it would end up on the subject of her dating life eventually.

"How is Phillip," Avery asked. "Is he still working down near 101?"

Maggie shook her head and sipped at her ice tea.

"No, the firm was never really able to bounce back after the attack. He's had to find other work. He's just been freelancing a bit right now, but I know he'll get picked up for something stable soon."

Avery glanced at Sutton, her dark eyes knowing.

"You know Tony Stark personally, right? Maybe you could put in a good word for him."

Sutton blinked as the conversation was brought to her and gave an forced laugh.

"Uh, maybe? I mean, that's not really what I- Tony-Mr. Stark doesn't really take business advice from me. I'm just his interpreter."

Avery lifted an eyebrow and Maggie laughed.

"Right," Maggie said with a devilish grin.

Sutton's face flared red.

"Oh my gosh, no, it's not like-ew. I mean I don't-"

The two girls burst out laughing.

"We're teasing you," Avery said. "We know you've only got eyes for Axel."

"Yeah," Maggie agreed. "And I hear he's free tomorrow."

Sutton was suddenly grateful that she had a legitimate excuse.

"Sorry," but she wasn't, "I have an appointment that I can't miss. Darn."