The Trouble with Space Travel

Suttonhustled down a couple different halls and rode another lift down afew more floors, without incident this time, before the blue lightguiding her stopped. By then she'd started to notice computer-likepanels, like tall electrical servers, sitting in rows. That and thebodies. Security officers littered the floor, some were breathing andothers most definitely weren't. Sutton shuddered and limped over toone whose chest she could still see moving and picked up the droppedphaser by his side. It was awkward in her grip, especially since itwas in her non-dominant hand, and she made sure it was pointed awayfrom her this time before moving on.

Wasshe in the weapon's bay now? That must've been why the light stoppedflashing, right? Were these server things controlling the weaponsfunctions and aiming? She thought they looked like they could be.

Thesilence of the room made her skin crawl rather than reassure her. Itfelt ominous and tense, like Khan might pop around a corner anymoment. She already knew that the phaser wouldn't do much to stophim.

...Butit could probably damage the server things.

Suttontightened her awkward hold on the weapon and eyed the panel next toher. It made sense that these would control weapons functions, didn'tit? She had no delusions of what would happen the second she shot offher first round of phaser fire. If Khan didn't already know whereshe was, that would surely get back to him.

Shehad to. This had to work.

Suttonadjusted her stance, feet apart for balance, and took aim at thenearest server. Light burst from the end of the phaser as she shotone,two, threetimesat the equipment. Sparks and smoke exploded from the equipment as shepaused to see if it had worked. More warm blood ran over her lips anda metallic tang crept into her mouth as she tried to take a breath.Somewhere in the distance an alarm went off.

Thephaser went off several more times and three other stations went upin flame. There were more piercing alarms. Fire in space wasn'texactly ideal, and Sutton began to distance herself from the damage.There was a loud hiss and Sutton turned to see a fire suppressantbeing released automatically. She shot at the panels a few more timesjust to make sure there'd be no saving them, even with super enhancedintelligence.

Suttonstumbled onward and away from the destroyed consoles, her vision wasa little blurry and her left hand trembled before spasming anddropping the phaser back to the floor. There was a flickering shadowcast in the light of the dying flames and Sutton screamed as she wasthrown to the floor. Her body went skidding across the metal flooruntil it was stopped with a thudasshe hit a wall. The breath was pushed from her lungs as she struggledto right herself and keep conscious.

"Youmeddling simpleton."

Khan'sgrowling voice echoed in the spacious bay and it added an additionalmenacing quality that only made Sutton's breath hitch all the more.He was stalking out of the shadows towards her and his posture andexpression spoke of a raging fury.

"You'redestroying my ship with your ignorance," he snarled. Sutton scootedaway along the wall; it was hard for her boots to get traction on thesmooth floor. Khan continued to stalk forwards and Sutton saw flashesof images in her panic.

Itwas dim in a dark room, only a faint blue glow illuminating thespace.

Shewas alone with Khan. So, so alone.

Goldboots kicking as she struggled against a cold, hard floor.

Thiscouldn't be happening again. She couldn't breathe. He was too,too close and her legs wouldn't stand. Khan reached her and hauledher up by her shoulders to be eye level with him.