An Unexpected Revelation

The moment had finally come. Now, there would never be a doubt in her mind. She wouldn't have to worry that she skewed a quiz or that maybe Pottermore wasn't correct. Sutton sat in frozen anticipation as the sorting hat proclaimed the house that would be irrecoverably and undeniably hers.

"HUFFLEPUFF."

"WHAT."

Sutton almost fell over onto her side as the announcement sank in.

"No, no, no! Are you sure? Are you sure not Gryffindor? Not Ravenclaw? Are you sure? I mean, I might not be the bravest, but-"

"HUFFLEPUFF," the hat insisted.

Sutton yanked the hat off her head, despite its cry of 'careful!', and sat it back on its stool.

"Hufflepuff," she complained. "I got Hufflepuff? Do you know what I've been through," she demanded. "I have dealt with being teleported for life into another dimension, I stood up to Loki the god of mischief, I have survived being pulled through time and space twice now!"

But the hat almost seemed smug in its choice.

"Hufflepuff through and through,

Sincere in spirit and loyal too,

A heart for justice and friendly disposition,

Made it easy to make my decision."

Sutton frowned at the hat and sniffed haughtily.

"Now you're just trying to show off."

But the hat quieted then and said no more and Sutton knew she couldn't convince it to change its mind. Even if she could, wouldn't that be like cheating on a "What House Are You In" quiz?

Finished with the sorting hat now, both literally and emotionally, Sutton shuffled back to the door, listened, peeked out, and started back down the stairs.

"Hufflepuff, flippin' Hufflepuff," she complained the entire way down. "Tony can't find out. He'd never let me live it down. Steve gets Gryffindor; Bruce gets Ravenclaw, I bet. But, nooo! Sutton stands up to Loki, makes it out of the Death Star alive,and gets Hufflepuff."

She hopped on the balls of her feet down the last few steps and thanked the gargoyle for moving out of the way as she passed it. In the hall she froze, looked back, and rolled her eyes.

"Ugh, that's why you're a 'Puff," she said to herself.

But she had to shake off whatever disappointment she was feeling, because it wouldn't do to dwell on it. Besides, hadn't Rowling said she liked the canary yellow house best? That had to count for something. Still, Sutton pouted a bit as she tried to find her way back downstairs.

"Loyalty is a good trait. And there's nothing wrong with a sense of justice! 'Puffs aren't dumb! I'm not dumb!"

Sutton couldn't quite remember which direction she had come from as she wandered down floor after floor. All she could say for sure was that she was going down. But it was also getting later, and exhaustion was setting in, as well as hunger. She couldn't quite remember the last meal she'd eaten with certainty. Sooner rather than later she'd have to find some sort of corner to curl up in. Because heaven knew she wasn't going to tough it out outdoors. Not with dangerous magical creatures and bugs running about!

Sutton rounded another corner and blinked blankly at the hall she found herself in. It was the same as any other hall in this castle and she didn't recognize it at all.