Chapter 7

After the attack by the Resistance on the Finalizer, the star Destroyer was on high alert. Kylo sent Marvel back to bed, posting a stormtrooper guard by the door while he himself stayed up and oversaw the ships relocation, read the battle reports, and walked around silently, looking for anyone who seemed suspicious. Captain Phasma was on the second floor, looking after her stormtroopers while General Hux was speaking to Supreme Leader Snoke about what happened, and there was no question, planting seeds of doubt about the Countress.

Marvel sat alone on the side of Kylo's bed. Her cape was laid across her lap and she toyed with the lining. She glanced around the room, looking for cameras, but came to the conclusion that Kylo wouldn't have his room in any state where it could be spied on. When she felt a comforting presence, she laid the cape aside, folded her hands, and swallowed hard.

"I'm so alone..." she spoke quietly to the mysterious presence. "No one knows who I truly am...no one knows I'm truly for the Resistance. And after all the evil I've done, all the innocent people I've killed, I'm not sure anyone would believe me. My intentions were good to begin with...but now I can't even tell what my intentions are...

"I don't know if I can do this any more. When I started this mission, I was sure I could, but I had no idea how difficult this would be. I started out with a complete plan, but I made sure no one knew, so that I might have a better chance at gaining Kylo's trust. Well, I've done that; he trusts me. But now I wonder if I'll be able to break that trust, even if it is to try to save him from the darkness. I've loved him for so many years, and he finally loves me back. I know it's selfish of me to give up such a valiant mission just for the hope of love, but I can't shake the thought of doing so. I'm feeling the call to the dark side.

"When I first met Kylo and Luke in the jungle, Luke recognised me. I know he did. He must remember me from the short time I was on the island. But not only did I see recognition in his eyes, I also saw disappointment. It hurt me that I couldn't tell him my true intentions, but I had to make sure my mission was safe. I wish I had told someone. I should be used to being alone, but in my struggling, the loneliness feels greater than ever.

"Even Rey, who I used to love as a sister, looked at me with disgust. When I was on the island, she was the only friend I had, and when Kylo turned and she was brought to Jakku for safety, I was there with her for so long... And now, I'm nothing more than a mangy animal that needs to be slaughtered.

"I trained myself by watching as Luke trained the others. I learned more than I could have with Luke, but all the skills I excel in, I've used for ill. When I convinced Kylo to bring me to the First Order, that was all a trick. I could see him starting to object, and I stepped in and controlled his mind to ensure that he brought me back. It wasn't really a decision I made for him because he was already considering it. But after that, I had no problem with blatant lying. I told Kylo I got nothing of importance from Rey. I swore I wouldn't betray him, and yet, 'betrayal' as he means it, has always been my intention. Kylo helped finesse my powers, and now I'm using that training against him, going so far as to hide my true intentions from even Supreme Leader Snoke, the thing I was sure was to be my downfall.

"It broke my heart to see Kylo turn to the Dark Side. Right then, as I hid on Luke's escape ship and helped Rey adjust to her new life, I knew I would someday set out to bring him back to the light. I was not aware that I would fall in love even more than I already was. I could not use my power on him when I tried to convince him that I truly loved him because I wanted to know if he trusted me. I was not prepared for him to say he loved me as well. It is still my intention to attempt to bring him back to the light, but I love him so much that I fear, if he refuses to come back, that I will help him escape rather than see him killed.