Chapter 1

I sat behind my mom and my baby sister Annabel. My foot tapping as I wait for my dad to appear on the monitor. My head resting on the palm of my hand. My name is Calypso Lennox. Daughter of Will and Sarah Lennox. My dad is in the military and today we get to see him for the first time in about...four months, I think? I don't know. I just know that this is his second time seeing Annabel. His first was the day she was able to come home from the hospital.

"Ahahaha! My ladies!" My dad says making my head shoot up. I smile ever so slightly upon seeing my dad. His short brown hair, his blue green eyes, his stubble, and of course his army wear.

"Look." My mom says pointing to my dad. Annabel looks at him and let's out some baby noises when she sees dad.

"Oh, my goodness. Look at her. She's getting so big. Look at those cheeks. I just wanna chew on them. Baby, we made one good-looking kid. I know that people say that all the time, but... Wow, we made one good-looking kid. Nice work." My dad says making my mom smile brightly.

"She has your laugh."

"She laughed?" My dad asks his eyes bright and filled with happiness. Annabel makes some noises and looks around.

"Her first one, yeah." My mom says beginning to bounce Annabel on her leg.

"You la- you sure she didn't just fart?" My dad suddenly asks making me roll my eyes. Guys!

"No, she's a lady." My mom says, and Annabel starts crying. "She doesn't know you yet, but she will."

Dad smiles then looks at me. "Cal! Look at you! Have you invented anything new?" My dad asks using his nickname for me. I nod. "Cool. You're going to have to show me it when I get home, okay?" My dad says giving me a playfully stern look. I nod and offer him a small smile.

My mom and dad both smile at one another. Suddenly the screen starts to "pixilate". "Will?" My mom questions, looking worried.

"Sarah? Hey...rah...can...hear...I love-" the screen suddenly goes black, just as Annabel bursts into tears. Screaming and kicking. My mom quickly get to her feet and goes into the kitchen a worried look on her face. I stay still. Staring at the blank screen. He's probably fine. It was probably just some interference. I tell myself. My face twists back into its usual calm and serious facade as I get to my feet and make my way out of the house and into the barn. My space. You see, the house has an attached garage which is were my parents keep their cars. The detached garage is where my dad keeps all his guns and weapons stuff. The barn is mine. It's where I invent things and keep my weapons and all my stuff really. I usually end up sleeping out here so I have a bed up in the loft along with a lot of other furniture, and a bathroom on the ground level. It's like my own little place.

I walk in and, after closing the door behind me, I flip on the lamp atop my desk, revealing my current project. It's a gun. A special gun. The gun is shaped like a rifle, sort of. It's black and meant to be held with both hands. It fires these bullets that I designed. The bullets are shaped like any other kind of bullet but have these small blades that, after being fired, spring out. Doing extra damage. Cool, right? I hope my dad thinks so. I just want to make him proud, you know? That's all I want. To make my parents proud. I hope I will. I really do...

Calypso below-