Chapter 2

My hands are covered in oil. My finished project resting on top of the desk in front of me. The finished rifle like gun, the canisters of the bullets I made, and the pistol I chose to modify so it could shoot the bullets I made. They took me about twelve to thirteen hours to complete so it's four right now. Four A.M. Good thing today's part of summer break. I think in exhaustion as I slump backwards. Falling down onto the old wheeled desk chair. My head falling to the side. The only sound being the repeated tick-tock of the clock, which rest upon the desk, lulling me into a dreamless sleep.
~~~
"-l! Ca-! Cal!" I jerk forward. A small scream escaping from my lips as I barely manage to stop my face from plowing into the desk.

"Ugh. Yeah?" I question groggily, blinking a few times before getting up. I glance at the digital clock on my desk. It's noon. My eyes shift to the modified, and enhanced, walkie talkie which stands besides my digital clock. I modified it so it won't get any interference during storms and I enhanced its sound so you won't get any static while talking. The walkie talkies also run differently so in areas where cellphones won't work the walkie talkies will. It's really complicated to explain it in a way that isn't confusing, so let's just leave it at that.

"C-can you come to the house? I-I have s-something t-to tell you." My mom says sounding upset.

I nod, then face palm as I remember that she can't see me. "Yeah, sure." I say exiting the barn. The warm rays of the summer sun hitting my pale sun deprived skin as I walk towards the house, which is abnormally quiet.

I walk up the white front steps, to the door, and into the house. "Mom?" I call out questionably, walking into the dining room and then the kitchen which is were I see my mom. She's sitting at the kitchen table full on sobbing. "Mom?" I question softly hurrying towards her and kneeling down besides her. "What's wrong?" I ask taking one of her hands in mine.

She looks at me and says the words I've never wanted to hear. "Your father. H-he...the base..." My mom trails off and sniffles. I give her hand a gentle squeeze, encouraging her to continue. "I-it was attacked. T-theres n-no s-survivors. H-he's gone."

I swear I felt time stop. In that moment I felt everything come crashing down around me. H-he's gone. This echoes around inside of my skull and I soon find myself running out of the house and into the barn. The barn door slamming shut behind me. Why? Why my dad?! I want to scream. So I do. Cursing life and everything else on this god forsaken planet as I do so.

In a fit of blind rage I grabbed the closest thing to me, which happened to be a wrench, and wiped it across the barn. "Why?! Why my dad?!" I scream sinking down as sobs wrack my body. "Why?" I cry tears streaming down my cheeks like a river. My lips quiver. "Why?"