13. Im Sick of Gee Always Being the Nonbinary One

Mikey was seething. He stared at Pete and Patrick sitting at the lunch table together, heads burrowed close to each other.

He felt pretty stupid to think that Pete would stay single for long, after their break-off. He'd watched them kiss, earlier, and it had awoken some kind of angry monster inside of him, and he had to admit to himself that he wanted Pete back...

He missed Pete desperately, and he wasn't sure what was holding him back from him.

Mikey itched for Pete's gentle fingers squeezing his own, which he no longer felt.

Mikey longed for Pete's excited late night calls about cats, which no longer came.

Mikey pleaded for Pete's gentle words that comforted him after a hard day, which he no longer heard.

It was completely silent, and for the first time in a long time, Mikey ached for rebellion. He craved loudness and he wanted screams to echo. He wanted the world to know how much he missed Pete; how much he wanted his little Petey back... Pete was Mikey's anchor, and the only thing that kept him sane, and Mikey's heart felt like it was being crushed a million times over every time he looked at Pete and Patrick.

He slammed his hand down on the table before angrily stalking out of the cafeteria.

He got to his next class and couldn't help notice that Patrick was in his class. He could not escape that terror, and he sighed, gently. He tapped his finger on the desk and just prayed for class to be over. He wanted to go home and scroll through old text messages with Pete, and watch The Notebook. He just wanted to be anywhere other than here. He wanted to be far away from Pete and far away from Patrick.

-

Gerard sat with Frank on the couch, Frank cuddled into his chest.

"Gee?"

"Yeah, Frank?"

Frank shifted a little, uncomfortably, and Gee released his arms that were wrapped around the smaller boy, and Frank twisted so he was facing Gerard.

"I don't..." Frank trailed off, biting his lip. "I don't know if I feel one hundred percent male all the time," He closed his eyes and buried his face into Gerard's neck. "I'm sorry..."

"Why are you sorry?" Gerard furrowed his eyebrows. "You think I won't lo-like you anymore?" He stumbled a little over his words.

Frank nodded, sadly. "I've felt it for a long time but I've never really acted on it before. But I'm fairly certain now," he tried to smile, confidentially at him.

"Of course I still like you. You're my best friend! So you feel like you're a girl?" Gerard cocked his head at his friend.

Frank shook his head.

"No, I feel more in the middle. Non-binary, perhaps. I'm not really sure."

"We can just go from there. If you start to have more feminine days I can call you she/her and if you feel more masculine I can call you he/him. How about for now we stick with they/them?"

Frank nodded, earnestly and they felt a little bit like crying.

"Um Gee, one more thing? Don't call me Frank anymore. Just call me Frankie... Please?"

"Of course, Frankie," Gerard smiled at them, tenderly. "Love you..."

"Love you too. No homo, no hetero. The whole shebang," they grinned up at him.

"Shut up. You're totally homo and hetero for me."

"I can't argue with that."

-

Gerard swooped up Ryan in his arms as soon as he reached the ward.

"Hey, Frank! I like your skirt!" Ryan waved at them from Gerard's shoulder. Frankie blushed, pulling a little at their skirt, and taking a step back.

"Ryan," Gee pulled away from him and sat down on the bed with him. "Frankie isn't a boy now, okay?"

"Is Frankie a girl?" Ryan furrowed his eyebrows and looked up at Gerard in confusion. "Brendon told me boys can wear skirts too. Ms. Urie brought us some and we were able to play with them. Brendon's was really flowery and if looked really pretty..."

Gerard smiled, listening to Ryan in interest, until he stopped talking.

"Well you can't call Frankie 'Frank' anymore, okay?" Gee smiled. "And don't call them he either. Can you do that for me, buddy?"

"So call Frankie 'them'?" Ryan asked. "Yeah, I got it."

Gerard smiled at him, gently. "Good job, Ryro. You're so smart."

Ryan smiled and nodded, eagerly. "Can Frankie come play and color with us?" He asked, eyes sparkling, excitedly.

"Only if they want to..." Gerard grinned.

"Sure I'm all for it," grinned Frankie, walking over to them.

"What are we coloring today, Ryan?"

The door opened and Gerard's head popped up.

Grace Urie was standing the doorway, smiling at them.

"Gerard, could you come here, please?" She asked, softly. Gerard nodded and got up from the bed to follow the woman out the door.

"My mother isn't doing so well," Grace sighed as she closed the door behind them. "The doctors say she only has a few more days to live... I know George was really close to her and so was Brendon. They're really going to be needing each other after-" Ms. Urie broke off into tears and threw her arms around Gerard's neck. "I'm so sorry," she sobbed into his arms. Gerard wrapped his arms around her, gently.

"I am so sorry, Ms. Urie. I will try everything I can to help them both, and you. I know how hard it is losing a parent, and a grandparent. Be assured that Brendon has Ryan, Frankie, and me to help him him understand what's going on and we'll be able to help him through it."

"Oh..." Ms. Urie smiled through her tears at him. "Thank you so much, Gerard. You really are a gentleman. I know this is probably a lot to ask of you but I am seriously so greatful. You don't really understand," she wiped her tears away. "Thank you so much."

-

Wowie.

Um. Get ready for the next one lol. Double update pOW. It should be up in about 10.