{12} Over the horizon

Re-edited | 10.1.17
***

THE city is twinkling with lights, the sound of expensive cars revving down the streets wakes me up from my thoughts and brings me back to the wealthy party.

Being in Dubai doesn't make me happy, it doesn't help me forget Coal and I don't know why because this is my favourite city and I'm not enjoying it.

Boys usually disappear from my mind within a few days, and even after we break up I don't care. It's been so easy but it feels like Coal has left more memory but a scar across my heart, one that will take ages to heal. It's killing me, I need him, I want him. He's my air and I feel like I'm hardly breathing without him.

"Elle, you do look ravishing." Rahul says, grinning at me. I roll my eyes and laugh at Rahul's attempt of flirting with me then I hug my dear friend. Rahul's family has been our partner in our company firm for as long as I can remember so he's like my best friend, my brother.

I'm in a long red sparkle dress with a halter neck, a slit down the side of my dress, exposing my lean long legs. My hair tied up in a bun with loose curls falling onto my shoulder.

"Thank you. I haven't seen you for a while." I reply, as politely as I can.

"I've been traveling. You know Father and his business." I smile. "So, enjoying Dubai?"

"It's beautiful. The attraction are beautiful." I answer vaguely, trying not to say the truth.

"Ellie, what's wrong?" Rahul asks, a frown appearing on his face.

"I lost someone dear to my heart." I admit, not wanting to lie to my closest friend in this business.

"I didn't think you have one." He jokes, trying to lighten up my damp mood, and I laugh, my laughter cracking at the end from the built up sadness.

As guest walk by us, they send us a nod and with a confident smile, my  energy draining the second I do, I wave at them while Rahul nods politely at them, a rather vague and blunt greeting.

"It is black and cold." I whisper with a playful yet fake grin and Rahul chuckles, sipping on his cocktail glass, raising his eyes at me.

"When you're in the business, that's what it turns into but you need to understand, some people are worth the time and some people can break through your walls." He says sadly, almost regretfully. Then my friend looks at me with determined brown eyes, his black hair covering the cut that curved on his right side of his face.

"There's somethings you need to understand Chantelle and if you let this business get in the way of understanding the one thing that will give you a reason to work and try harder, then you're not as committed as I thought you were."

I open my mouth to argue but he sends me a sharp look. "Don't ever listen to anyone about feelings ruin business shit. It's bull. Listen to yourself. Your instinct and your feelings. This guy must be really lucky if you like him, he better treat you like a Queen."

I give a weak smile. "He does." I whisper out softly.

Rahul smiles sadly at me. "Then why did you let him go?" He walk away with a swift turn on his heel, letting me ponder on what he said.

Did Coal really break down my walls? Is that why I'm feeling upset and depressed?

When we get back to the hotel, I go straight to my room. The view is amazing from the Burj Al Arab, Dubai's best hotel. A wondrous sunset over the ocean, the colours red, orange and yellow, shimmering in the water as the waves moves softly against the sand.

But it kills me that I didn't come here with Coal, he would have loved this. I sob quietly, feeling a dampness on my cheek and remaining still as it travel down my face and drips onto my clothes.

"Darling, I need to head off." Dad announces from outside my bedroom. I give no reply, knowing that he won't be caring for one anyway. But this time I hear a sigh of distress before the main door opens the closes softly.

Once I feel as if I'm completely alone, I head out into the balcony, tears silently streaking down my face, and watch the sunset, thinking if Coal is thinking of me.

***
COAL'S POV
***

I'm a mess.

It's the first thing I've actually admitted to myself. I can't function, I can't think, I can barely breathe whenever the thought of Chantelle comes to my mind. I miss her.

Her icy blue eyes that widen with amusement whenever I teased her. Her lips so soft and light like a feather but still takes my breath away in one kiss. Her hair so beautiful and gold, cascading on her shoulders whenever she laughs as she threw her head back. Her body, perfectly fitting into mine and curling closer to me when she was cold. Everything about her.

But she is gone. And suddenly I feel like I am too.

I sit quietly in the little library area in our house, my mother taking Ray upstairs to bed. A book isn't tucked in properly on the shelf so I stumble over to there and push it in, until something falls out and lands on to the fall.

I narrow my eyes and bend down, grabbing the thin piece of paper. With great nervousness, I read the paper, all the clogs in my mind finding the right place when I put the pieces together.

Dropping the paper, I hurry over to the small drawer next to the rocking chair where my Mom sits front time to time. Cautiously opening the small brown drawer, I rummage through the 'precious artifices' my mother calls them.

Then something glimmers. Glittering in the florescent light. I gingerly take it into my hand and study it, smiling softly at myself. A jewel, small enough to hide from plain site and from greedy eyes.

I lift up towards the light and watch it shimmer and sparkle with beauty, my eyes studying every inch of it. Then I smile. Because I have it. It's in my hand. I've got-

"COAL!" My mom screamed loudly in fear. I run up to her bedroom, the hallway trashed with broken glass and vases.

Then I hear one gunshot. Clear as the bells ringing in Christmas Day. 

•••
So I just added Coal's POV but it's not that important. Some may not want to read his view so you can skip it but his point of view is there.

Stay awesome x

LMB