Chapter One

Mika walked confused down the pastel pink walls. Her green eyes darting back and forth, watching the class numbers carefully. She had got to the school twenty minutes early, figuring that it would take her a while to get all of her stuff together, find her locker, and get to class. Well, she was having trouble getting to class. The map she got was totally useless since she dropped it earlier in the crowded hallway. She only looked away from it's spot on the ground for a second, and when she looked back, half of it was gone, and the half that was left had a giant footprint on it. So she continued walking around hoping that she would find class 1-A before it started. None of her other schools needed a map. Well, she had only been to one other high school, but it wasn't this confusing. Mika was getting frustrated, her cheeks were getting red, and she felt like crying. She had always had a short temper, and got angry easily. She knew that she only had one option left. She had to ask someone for help. She sighed, and looked around at the students laughing and talking to each other as they walked to their classes. "Excuse me." She called to a group of students walking by. They looked at her for a second, then laughed and walked away. Her frustration grew, but she felt sad too. She didn't like being ignored, but nobody really did. She looked around again, and saw a group of girls standing outside of the restrooms giggling to each other. She approached them sort of timidly, trying to not look like an idiot. "Excuse me. Could you help me find my class?" She asked, trying to sound bold. They laughed at her, just like the other kids, but listened anyway. "Of coarse. What class are you trying to find?" One asked. Mika had a wave of happiness rush over her. She couldn't believe someone was actually helping her. "1-A" she replied. The girl smiled and pointed in the direction that she had been walking towards. "Just go that way, and turn left at the nearest hallway, then turn right and you'll find it." She said. Mika smile, and thanked the girl, before heading in that direction. But as she got out of earshot of the girls, two arms reached out in front of her, and blocked her path. The arms belonged to a pair of twins, each with light auburn hair, and a funny smirk. They looked down at her, their amber eyes, sparkling slightly. "You shouldn't go that way." The one to the left said. "Yeah. That isn't the way to class 1-A" The other one finished. I looked at them confused. "Then why did she tell me to go that way?" She asked. They laughed at her, filling her with embarrassment, and anger. She hated being laughed at. "Probably to mess with you. You know, because you're the new kid." The one to the left said. The other one the explained, "The way she told you to go is a dead end." Mika frowned, why would they want to mess with her just because she was new. She didn't do anything wrong. "Can you help me get to my class?" She asked the twins. They grinned, and nodded, turning to face the hallway. They then backed up to be beside her. "By the way, I'm Hikaru." The one on my left started. "And I'm Kaoru." The one on my right said. I smiled at them, but stopped smiling after a second. "I'm Mika." I responded, starting to walk foreword. They lead me down the odd coloured hallway, to a class labelled 1-A. I smiled, glad that I found my class. "Thanks." I said to Hikaru and Kaoru. They simply nodded in return, and walked into the classroom. Mika was about to follow them, but just as she took a step, one of the binders in her hand fell, spilling paper all over the floor. She sighed, and dropped to her knees, but as she did, her thick framed, black glasses fell off her face. She squinted hard, trying to see them. Her hand reached to the ground, feeling for them, when she felt them pushed into it by someone. She placed them on her face, and looked at the person. "Oh. Hey Kaoru. Thank you." She said, looking up at him. His eyes went a little surprised, which made Mika confused. "What?" She asked, looking down at her mess on the ground. He bent down on one knee, and begun to help her pick up the papers, and place them in her binder neatly. "It's nothing." He said. She shrugged, and closed her binder, which now contained all of the stuff that fell out. "I thought you already went into the class?" I looked over to him. "Yeah, well you didn't come in after us, so I came out to see why." He walked back into class, this time, followed by Mika. Just as she put one foot into the room, a loud bell sounded. The teacher, who was already at the front of the class, noticed Mika immediately. "You must be the new student. You came all the way from Canada right? It must have been cold there." She spoke. Mika laughed at this statement. "No, not really actually. It wasn't much colder than it is here. Although I've only lived in Japan for about a week, so I wouldn't know." She answered. Her teacher smiled at her. "Alright then, choose a seat somewhere, and we can get started with the lesson." Mika nodded, and walked to the back of the classroom, sitting at a desk at least an entire desk away from anyone else. It wasn't that she didn't like people, she was just shy around people she didn't know. But she had trained the slight stutter out of her speech before she moved, so people couldn't really tell how uncomfortable she was with people. The teacher began teaching the lesson, and at first Mika was listening closely, until she realized that she already knew what she was talking about. She had learned this about a month before, when she read ahead in her textbook. So instead, she pulled out her sketchbook, and begun practicing her drawing skills. Mika wasn't half bad, but she wasn't fantastic either. She drew for a while, not realizing when the bell rang. But by the time it did, her face was red, and slammed into her sketchbook. She had a really short temper, and her drawing just wasn't going right. "Hey. Having trouble?" She looked up with just her eyes, keeping her head on the book. It was Hikaru, and he was laughing. Mika felt like she was going to melt. She peeled her face off of her precious book, slamming it shut, and looking up at Hikaru. She tried to wipe away her frustration, and smiled at the boy. "I'm fine." She stated, pulling her lunch out of her bag. Hikaru looked at it, confusion in his eyes. She looked at her lunch, wondering why he was looking at it like that. Then she realized why. Her lunch was pizza, with an apple, and a soda. And she had it in a blue lunch bag with a floral print covering the entire thing. It was something people didn't use in Japan. She smiled at him awkwardly. "It's my lunch bag, I used it in Canada." She explained. He nodded at her, but still looked confused. "Why aren't you eating in the cafeteria though?" He asked. Mika looked down at her lap. "Because there are people there. And people are either loud, or mean, or talkative, or insane." She mumbled. Hikaru grabbed her wrist, pulling on it slightly. "Come on, come eat with us." He said. Mika looked up at him, his smile was happy, and made his entire face light up. She sighed, but packed her things up in her backpack, and followed Hikaru out of the room. "Cool, I can't wait for you to meet all of my other friends." He cheered. Mika's eyes widened. She didn't want to meet anyone else. Two people was enough, she was fine with knowing too people. And what did he mean by other? She thought maybe he was implying that she was his friend, but shook that thought out of her head. They had just met, and nobody had ever become her friend this quickly. He couldn't possibly think of her as a friend yet.