Chapter Twelve

"Mika get up." Haruhi called to the sleeping girl, laying in her bed. She grumbled, and pulled her arm over her eyes, ignoring Haruhi, and the light coming from above. "It's time to get up." She said, sitting at the foot of her mattress. Mika shook her head. "No it's not. It's time to sleep." She mumbled. Haruhi shook her head at her and grabbed Mika's arm, pulling her up into a sitting position. Mika whined and pulled her arm from Haruhi's grasp, but since she wasn't all the way up, she slammed back down into the bed.
"Come on Mika. You've missed a month and a half of school, I promised I'd help you out as best I can but I can't do that if you don't get up." She pulled Mika up again, and took the blanket off while pushing her legs over the side. She then wrapped an arm around Mika's shoulder, and lifted her into the wheelchair beside her bed.
"Yeah, thanks." She said, letting Haruhi push her into the bathroom. Mika then began doing her normal routine, brushing her hair, and teeth, getting dressed, and leaving. Haruhi stopped wheeling her around, and let Mika handle that herself, but Kaoru asked her to help Mika out for a bit. The entire host club knew about them now, and their relationship. They were all comforting and supportive through this. And Mika did have some hope. The hospital said that she was going to be able to walk again, and that she just had to give it time. Though it could take up to five years for that to happen, and so Mika just had to deal with it until then.

Haruhi walked beside Mika, talking to her as she pushed her way to school. She had always had amazing upper body strength, and now at least it had a cause. They talked about Haruhi's classes, her likes and dislikes about them. Haruhi didn't like history that much either.

When they got to the school, Kaoru ran up to then and wrapped his arms around her waist. "And the scholar returns." He said smiling. Mika giggled and nodded, letting him step behind her and push her towards the school. She never minded when he pushed her around. They went to class 1-A, and he pulled her to the seat next to him, before it started.

Mika payed attention as best as she could, but sometimes got distracted. Usually when she got bored of class she would shift in her seat a bit. But when she tried doing that nothing happened, which reminded her that she couldn't move her legs or waist. So she started fidgeting with her hands. She felt sad a lot more than she did before. She didn't know why though. She just felt sad, and tired. She just drew on her notebook waiting for class to end, and lunch break. She didn't feel very hungry either, but she wanted to talk to Kaoru. She felt self-conscious about telling him about these feelings, but she knew that even just hearing his voice will make her feel better.

Mika was worried that it was just a crush, and that her feelings would wear out, but they didn't. She actually felt as if she liked him more every day. He was just everything she had ever wanted.

When the bell rang, her gaze immediately went to Kaoru, who was behind her in a second, pushing her wheelchair to the side of her desk, and packing up her things.

"Kaoru you really don't have to do that. My arms work, remember?" She said in a sarcastic voice. Kaoru rolled his eyes and continues to put her stuff in her new plaid backpack that Mitsukuni and Takashi bought for her.

All of the hosts got her presents. Tamaki got her a sketchbook, Hikaru got her a watch, Haruhi git her a bag of M&Ms, and Kaoru got her a book. She asked them not to do it but they just wanted her to feel better.

Kaoru brought her to the cafeteria, and pushed her up to the hosts' table, then took a seat next to her. Mika smiled at him, and pushed his head into hers, kissing him gently. Kaoru kissed back that same way, and then pulled away and looked into her eyes happily. She loved it when he did that. They then turned their attention to the hosts.

"So I guess I should tell you guys. The doctors said that the damage to my legs may not be permanent. It may take a while, a long while, but my ability to walk will come back." Mika said excitedly. The host club all got happy faces, and told her that it was great. Even Kyoya smiled at that. Kaoru was hugging her the entire lunch period too, keeping her close.

The bell ringing brought them from their happy moment, to reality. School was still in session, and they still had work to do.

Mika grumbled and looked down at her full tray. Even though she wasn't hungry, she still planned to eat something. She didn't want anyone to suspect anything. But she shrugged off knowing that there was nothing she could do about it now, and wheeled herself back a bit, letting Kaoru take her tray, and bring it away. She then wheeled herself back to class, Kaoru walking beside her and talking the entire time. But she couldn't really hear what he was saying. She was too concerned with what was happening to her. Her sudden change in apatite and energy. The doctor said it was just adjusting to everything, but she didn't really think so.