Chapter Two

Mika stood outside of the lunchroom, a nervous smile breaking out on her face.  Hikaru, who was standing in front of her, looked back.  "Come on.  Everyone's in there."  He said, his tone of voice suggesting that she should have already known that.  She decided to ignore his attitude, and focus on what she was going to say.  She wasn't good at meeting people, or talking to them.  At her old school, it took her months to make a single friend, and a year and a half to meet another.  And even then, even how close they were with each other, she never felt close enough.  She always felt as if she was disconnected from them somehow, even though she cared for them more than anything.    But she would never get comfortable around people unless she gave them a chance, so she put on a brave face, held her backpack strap tightly, and remembered what her mother would always say to her when she felt like she couldn't talk to people.  "You can't spend your life hiding from people, that's not how life works.  You have to get up and try, or else you won't ever be able to communicate your feelings.  No one can live like that."  And with that thought in mind, she followed Hikaru, as he held the door open for her to walk through.  She immediately noticed Kaoru, sitting at a table with a bunch of other guys.  There were two blonde ones, one with dark brown hair, one with black hair, who also had glasses on, but smaller with thinner frames, and the boy that was in her class.  Mika tried to remember his name, and then it came back.  Haruhi.  She approached the table, all of them were staring at her, but she kept from running away.  "Hey, I'm Mika.  Hikaru told me to eat lunch w-with you guys."  She silently cursed herself for stuttering.  Kaoru nodded and looked over to the rest of the guys.  "Yeah.  This is Mika, she's in Hikaru and I's class.  Oh, and Haruhi."  He said, before turning to look at his twin, who was approaching the table.  "Hey guys.  Mika, why are you still standing?  Sit down."  Hikaru said, taking a seat beside his brother.  She nodded and sat down on the side of the table where no one else was.  The tall blonde one was the first to introduce himself.  "Hi!  I'm Tamaki, prince of the host club."  He said, a smile that would melt the hearts of girls everywhere.  She just nodded in his direction, and tried to avoid eye contact.  "This is the rest of the host club,"  He continued, either not noticing, or not caring that her head was down.  "This is Takashi, but we just call him Mori, because of his last name, then Mitsukuni, but we just call him Honey, because of his personality, he's just so adorable.  Then there's Kyoya over there, the vice-president, then Haruhi, and lastly, the twins, but I guess you already know them."  He pointed to each member of the host club.  Mika smiled a small, shy smile at all of them, which was returned by most of the members.  Kyoya's was more of a smirk, and Mori gave a sort of small nod of recognition.  "So if I may ask Mika, why aren't you wearing the uniform?"  Tamaki asked.  But She was now pulling out her lunch bag, and not really focusing, so she wasn't shy.  That's what happens when she forgets that she's with people.  "Because it looks like a daisy threw up on a marshmallow."  She said, pulling a slice of pizza from the bag.  That received laughs from the host club, even Mori chuckled, even though he hadn't show any emotion until then.  At least not to her.  They proceeded to ask her questions, like her favourite colour, food, song -which was an American song, so they didn't know it-.  Then where she lived before Japan, what the weather was like in Canada and if it was really as cold as people thought.  Everything was going fine until they hit the question about her parents.  "So what are your parents like?"  Tamaki asked, watching her with curious eyes.  She suppressed the tears fighting to leak out, she suppressed the urge to run out of the room, and she gathered all of the self-control she had, and said "Actually, my parents are dead."  She sounded calm.  Her voice hadn't changed greatly.  It didn't sound as bouncy and happy, but it didn't sound sad exactly either.  It just sounded normal.  "Tamaki looked her dead in the eye.  He looked like he was sorry he brought it up, it said it in his eyes.  Mika looked at the others, they all had the same sad, sorry look in their eyes.  Even Kyoya, who had his gaze glued to his laptop, had a bit of sadness in his eyes.  "Oh, I'm sorry for mentioning it."  Tamaki frowned.  Mika looked up at him, and smiled, "It's alright.  I'm fine, I swear."  She answered.  Her smile convinced him, and he went back to his happy expression.  "Okay!  Oh, did I mention that I like your hair colour!"  This time it was Honey who was talking.  She lifted a piece of her pastel purple hair, which she kept down.  "Thanks.  I died it about a week ago."  She said, feeling a bit more at ease with these people.  The bell rang out through the cafeteria, so Mika began packing up her stuff.  "Hey Mi-chan!  You should come to the host club after school!  It's in music room three.  Please."  Honey pleaded.  Mika looked over to the small third year.  "Sure.  I guess I can."  She responded, pulling her backpack over her shoulder.  The boy's eyes lit up when she said that.  "Yay!"  He cheered out.  Mika smiled at the the strange group of boys.  'Maybe this year won't be as bad as I thought.'  Her mind told her.