Chapter 5.

It has been a month since Ashton and I have been 'dating', today was gonna be a little awkward. I was supposed to give him his first check. I couldn't do it at school, everyone would see it, so I invited him to my house to watch a movie and I'll give it to him then.

"It's so hot today." Grace kept chanting.

"I know Grace, you've been saying that since this morning." I said sarcastically getting annoyed by her constant reminder that in fact the weather is hot.

It's the end of May. School's almost over. Today is Friday, and starting from Monday are our exams. Only four more days then it's summer.

I plan on making this the best summer ever. Spending it with my family, Grace, and of course Ashton. I had until a few months after New Years. What a way to start a new year, knowing you'll die soon. But I wasn't scared. I was ready. Or at least I thought I was. You don't really know until you're actually dying.

The last period was over, and Grace was driving me home.

The wind was messing up my hair but I was enjoying it, enjoying the summer breeze, it'll probably be my last summer. I was embracing it.

And suddenly a familiar tune was heard from the radio.

I turned to look at Grace who was already looking at me. She turned up the volume and we both laughed and screamed together.

"This is our song!"

It was the song Wannabe by the spice girls.

We used to sing this when we were kids, and we listen to it almost every morning.
But not this morning, because she forgot her aux at home, the idiot, I keep telling her to leave it in the car, but she doesn't listen. So as if it's fate that made this song play, because we didn't listen to it this morning.

"I'll tell you what I want what I really really want..." we kept singing until the song was over and we reached my house.

My mom was outside.

"Hey girls." She approached us.

"Hey Mrs. Morgan." Grace greeted her after me.

"Guess what? The pool is ready waiting for you. And dad is grilling some burgers. Why don't you come on in Grace?!"

After I convinced her and spoke to her mom, she agreed and I also asked her to sleepover and of course her mom agreed to as well.

We slipped on our bikinis, and after splashing water everywhere, we sat down to eat the delicious burgers my dad had made.

To say we were exhausted was an understatement. Thank God it's Friday and there was no school tomorrow.

I was showered and wearing only a baggy t shirt.

I started thinking again. What if I don't even get to finish my promised year. What if it spreads more quickly than it should and everywhere and I die in my sleep, or on the dinner table, or during my exam. What if I just die right now?! Now... Or now! What if I just stop breathing while doing nothing, or anything.

What if I sleep tonight and don't wake up in the morning?

See this is exactly why I want a distraction, I can't even be alone for a minute without starting to think like this.

Finally, Grace walked in humming a song I couldn't recognize, interrupting my thoughts.

She was drying her hair with the towel then she slipped on her underwear then a baggy t shirt like me and layed on my bed.

I layed back next to her. The two of us were just staring at the ceiling.

She started humming that song again. It was so low that I couldn't recognize it.