Chapter 10.

Forgetting about being sick didn't last long. I had a doctor's appointment today. I always hated that. But I had to go. For my own good I guess. The doctor said if I wanted my promised year, I had to do all the therapies and take all the pills there was to keep me alive for the rest of the year.

"How's your boyfriend?" My mom asked as we were driving to the doctor's appointment.

"He's fine. And you do know that he's not my real boyfriend right? I don't have any feelings for him." I said.

"Yes you've made that pretty clear." My dad said with a smile.

"Is there something you two want to say to me?"

"Well now that you're asking, yes there is." Mom said casually.

"Honey, we don't think it's a good idea to keep this fake relationship going." Dad continued.

"Why?" I asked calmly.

"Honey, is it fair? Do you think it's fair?" Mom asked looking over her shoulder at me.

"Are we really talking about fairness? Life itself isn't fair mom! And I like Ashton, and he likes me, I care about him, he makes me happy." I snapped.

There was silence before my mom spoke again.

"I thought you didn't have feelings for him, that he wasn't your real boyfriend." She calmly stated.

"Well I guess I do." I said realizing she was right.

I admitted it. I admitted having feelings for Ashton.

"You're gonna hurt yourself and you're gonna hurt him in the process too." Dad said as he parked the car.

"Let's just get this over with." I said ignoring his comment and getting out of the car.

The appointment was like any other. Same old routine. Same questions, same answers.
Same advice, same disappointment about the fact that there is no way I'm gonna be fully cured.

We found out late. If we had known a year ago we could have done something to stop it. But it's too late now.

And I don't let myself think about that possibility. The what ifs. It's all gone, in the past. What's done is done. We can't change it. I just accept it and move on. Try to make the best of now. Try to make the best of the time I have left.

"How was the doctor's appointment?" Ashton asked as he shoved a hand full of fries down his throat.

"Okay first, ew. Don't talk with your mouth full, and second it was fine I don't wanna talk about it." I said laughing at his image.

He laughed and swallowed. "I'm sorry, these are so damn good."

We were at the diner again having some dinner.

"School starts in two months." He said.

"I can't believe summer's already almost over." I said.

We were at the end of August already. Summer went by quickly. We had a lot of fun, but it went by too quickly. I wasn't ready to let go yet. And now here we were starting school again in two months.

I wasn't looking forward to starting school in October. Not because I didn't want to. But because it was my last year. And I wasn't even going to have a chance to finish it.

"Don't worry, I'm gonna make your senior year the best one yet Morgan, you just wait and see." He said giving me one of his adorable smiles showing his dimples.

"I'll be looking forward to that!" I said taking a bite out of my burger. "And stop calling me Morgan."

"Fine, Maisie. And specially graduation and prom. I have big plans for those." He continued.