Chapter 7.

"He just left?"

"Yup."

"Just like that?! After that great night you had? After having a moment like that?!" Grace said as I kept flipping the pages of the menu at a local diner. "Maisie!"

"What?"

"How can you think of food at a time like this?"

How can I not think of food?

"Seriously Grace, it's fine." I said. It was so not fine.

"Fine? That asshole left you after almost kissing you and now it's been 2 days and he hasn't even called or texted." She said.

It's true. It had been two days since he called or texted. My summer was not going well so far. First, he makes me believe that maybe he likes me. Then he shows me that he cares about me, next thing you know he's out of sight. No text no call no nothing.

I don't care if he likes me or cares about me,bthe deal from the beginning was that he shouldn't do those things. Maybe that's why he's nowhere to be found. He started to have those feelings so he backed away.

"It doesn't matter G, it's not like we're really dating. I don't care." I lied.

Okay maybe I liked him too. But I wasn't gonna admit it. Because if I did, then it would make it true. And I didn't want it to be true. I couldn't afford that.

After I said that, we ordered our food and decided to drop the subject and talk about something else. Like how Darren keeps asking out Grace.

"Give him a chance G, he may surprise you." I said.

"Uh, no. Are you seriously suggesting me to go out with Darren Kurt?"

"Why not? I never thought I'd go out with Ashton and look at me now."

"Yeah, but like you said you aren't really dating him."

"You know what they say, there's a thin line between love and hate." I blurted out next.

She just stared at me with a confused look.

"You claim you hate him, but they say if you hate someone so much it means because you secretly like them."

"That would be possible, if the guy wasn't Darren." She exclaimed making me laugh.

No matter how much she refused to say it. Grace did in fact like Darren. At least she used to. Believe it or not a date was gonna happen back in tenth grade, but it didn't due to Grace catching Darren making out with another girl the same afternoon of the day of their date. Of course the whole school found out about it after Grace and the girl had a cat fight, and Grace won. I mean she's Grace Hawkins of course she won. After that she never agreed to go out with him again. He tried everything. But she claimed she hated him, but the truth is she just lost trust in him.

I believe that Darren genuinely likes her, but because she says 'I hate you' to him every chance she gets, he pretends that he's not that into her and dates every other girl he sees to fill the empty hole inside of him, and also to maintain his reputation of being a typical bad boy with no feelings whatsoever.

We ate and then went to her house. Her mom made us some snacks and we were hanging out in her room, snooping through social media and judging and gossiping about other people together. I mean that's what best friends do right?

It was 6:35 when we decided to go see a movie. But when we got there, the unexpected happened.

I saw Ashton.

With another girl.

At first, I was shocked, then upset, then a little jealousy kicked in. But after shaking off those feelings the main thing I was feeling took over.