Chapter Six - Phrym

Copyright (C) 2009 Jenna Elizabeth Johnson

All Rights Reserved

The Legend of Oescienne - The Finding is posted for your reading enjoyment only and not to be reposted anywhere else. Thank you and happy reading!

This novel can also be found on:

Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Oescienne-Finding-Book-ebook/dp/B002J9HMQA/

Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/legend-of-oescienne-the-finding-jenna-elizabeth-johnson/1102956351?ean=2940032888543

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/legend-oescienne-finding-book/id488506263?mt=11

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/107185

Kobo: https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/ebook/the-legend-of-oescienne-the-finding-book-one

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Jenna_Elizabeth_Johnson_The_Legend_of_Oescienne?id=uWxjCgAAQBAJ&hl=en

CHAPTER SIX

PHRYM

Jaax wasn't surprised the children hadn't spotted him; he was standing behind the great wall, his head barely stretching through the large side entrance of the Ruin. His blue-green scales, like chips of aquamarine granite, blended seamlessly with the lichen plastered stone, his eyes standing out like pale emeralds set in a statue. The children were much too far away to notice that particular detail, however, but the young dragon's silvery-green gaze remained unfalteringly focused on the little girl walking between the two dark haired Resai children.

Jaax smiled, grateful for his keen eyesight. It gave him a chance to sum up Jahrra from afar, to get a sense of what she was made of before meeting her. He'd heard much praise from Hroombra already, but he had to make this judgment for himself.

More than seven years had passed since he'd left her in this land and he watched now in amused amazement as she approached. She still had the same golden hair that he remembered but she looked much different from the infant he'd left behind. She was tall for her age and from this distance he could see that she was going to be strong and sturdy, not petit and delicate like the races of elves. Strong and sturdy, just like a human, he thought. He narrowed his intense eyes, pulling the young girl's face closer into his vision. Her eyes were still blue, but now they were the blue of rainclouds retreating over the ocean after a storm, a blue that was only a shade or two away from gray.

Jaax took a breath and focused his attention on her face. It was a determined face, slightly rounded with high cheekbones. He noticed a few freckles and a dimple when she made a comical face at what her friends were saying. She pulled at her collar unconsciously and he couldn't blame her. The uniforms the children were wearing looked absolutely uncomfortable.

As the companions drew closer to the Ruin, Jahrra shot Hroombra a cheerful look, but beneath the look of happiness Jaax detected something more. Fear, sorrow, anticipation, all of these emotions fought behind her eyes like swarming fish in a clouded pool. He cast these aside as simple childhood whims: a stubbed toe, a lost game, a beloved pet gone missing. What captured most of the dragon's attention, however, was the fire and spirit he saw residing there.

When the children were about a hundred yards from the Ruin, Jaax decided to leave behind his safe hiding place and face the child he had come to see. He felt a little guilty, for he only planned to meet Jahrra and then be on his way. For the past several years he'd been trying to find time to check in on Jahrra and Hroombra, but something had always delayed or thwarted these plans. Hroombra had been ecstatic when he'd received word of Jaax's planned visit and the younger dragon now wondered if maybe he should've told Hroombra this stay would be an extremely short one.