Chapter Nine - Moving On

Copyright (C) 2009 Jenna Elizabeth Johnson

All Rights Reserved

The Legend of Oescienne - The Finding is posted for your reading enjoyment only and not to be reposted anywhere else. Thank you and happy reading!

This novel can also be found on:

Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Oescienne-Finding-Book-ebook/dp/B002J9HMQA/

Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/legend-of-oescienne-the-finding-jenna-elizabeth-johnson/1102956351?ean=2940032888543

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/legend-oescienne-finding-book/id488506263?mt=11

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/107185

Kobo: https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/ebook/the-legend-of-oescienne-the-finding-book-one

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Jenna_Elizabeth_Johnson_The_Legend_of_Oescienne?id=uWxjCgAAQBAJ&hl=en

CHAPTER NINE

MOVING ON

In the end, it took Jahrra more than a year to get past her parents' deaths. She finished her schooling with Hroombra that spring, not once stepping foot in the classroom in Aldehren. The old dragon knew this was the best for Jahrra, believing that being away from the hateful Resai children would speed up her recovery. Gieaun and Scede, no longer on bad terms with their best friend, visited her every day, filling Jahrra in with what she was missing at school. At first, she found it hard to concentrate on her lessons, but by the time summer arrived she was as fluent in history, mathematics, science and grammar as her friends.

Jahrra appreciated the delicate kindness everyone bestowed upon her, but it was Phrym who was the biggest comfort of all. The young semequin offered something no one else could by simply being present to listen to her sorrows without casting her sympathetic glances.

"Soon, I'll be able to ride you across these fields Phrym, and maybe I won't feel so sad anymore," Jahrra would whisper quietly as she leaned her head against his warm shoulder.

He was nearly full grown and it wouldn't be long before he'd be old enough to ride, but even that pleasant thought did little to pull Jahrra out of her misery.

When summer arrived, Jahrra found herself looking forward to something for the first time in months. She spent much of her time at Wood's End Ranch, perfecting her horse riding skills with Gieaun and Scede as the three of them raced along the edge of the Great Sloping Hill. They'd start at the Castle Guard Ruin and sweep in a long curve, dodging around the great eucalyptus trees on the bluff's edge until they reached the border of the Wreing Florenn. They would leave their horses tied several yards away and then venture towards the dreaded forest. They would move as close as they dared until becoming so spooked they'd run screaming in the opposite direction, leaving anyone who might be watching staring in puzzlement.

"Someday I'll go in there! I mean it!" Jahrra breathed as they skidded to a halt in front of the startled horses.

"Yeah right!" Gieaun exclaimed. "You won't even swim in Ossar Lake without getting scared!"

That statement caused the corners of Jahrra's mouth to curve upward in an unfamiliar way. It'd been such a long time since she last smiled that it actually hurt to do so. The laughter continued all the way back to the ranch, all three of them clutching their sides. When Hroombra, Kaihmen or Nuhra saw them together like this their grief for Jahrra would melt away, if only for that moment.