Chapter Eight - A Long, Cold Winter

Copyright (C) 2009 Jenna Elizabeth Johnson

All Rights Reserved

The Legend of Oescienne - The Finding is posted for your reading enjoyment only and not to be reposted anywhere else. Thank you and happy reading!

This novel can also be found on:

Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Oescienne-Finding-Book-ebook/dp/B002J9HMQA/

Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/legend-of-oescienne-the-finding-jenna-elizabeth-johnson/1102956351?ean=2940032888543

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/legend-oescienne-finding-book/id488506263?mt=11

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/107185

Kobo: https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/ebook/the-legend-of-oescienne-the-finding-book-one

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Jenna_Elizabeth_Johnson_The_Legend_of_Oescienne?id=uWxjCgAAQBAJ&hl=en

CHAPTER EIGHT

A LONG, COLD WINTER

Abdhe realized the second he let the apple drop that Jahrra wasn't staying on task.

"Jahrra, pay attention to what you're doing!" he called down to his oblivious daughter.

She was daydreaming again and the loose apple narrowly missed her head. Instead, it hit the leaf littered ground with a loud, hollow thlunk.

Summer had been over for weeks now and the autumn season was well under way. The first several weeks of school had been grueling, what with the twins' taunts and jibes, but Jahrra had expected that. Her school lessons were proving to be harder than last year's, but she really didn't mind as much as she claimed to. She enjoyed learning; it was her classmates she couldn't stand.

"Be sure to add that apple to the basket, Jahrra. It may be bruised, but it's still good," her father added as he reached carefully for another bright red fruit several feet in front of him.

"Why must we pick so many apples?" Jahrra asked wearily, struggling with the heavy whicker basket as she bent down to pick up the apple that had almost hit her.

"We don't want to be unprepared for winter. After the frost arrives, there's no going back."

Jahrra plopped the apple into the basket churlishly and looked up. All she'd been doing after school lately was harvesting and preserving fruits and vegetables. She heaved a great sigh and got back to picking the apples still within her reach.

"I know a seven year old has more interesting things to do than pickle beets and dry potatoes, but you'll be grateful when you have food for the winter," Abdhe commented matter-of-factly as he climbed down the creaking ladder.

"Seven-and-three-quarters," Jahrra corrected, taking a bite out of one of the crisp fruits.

"That's right," her father laughed, hopping onto the ground and ruffling her hair. "I'm always forgetting."

Jahrra made a face. How could her own father forget how old she was?

"Well, that's the last of the apples." Abdhe dusted off his hands and straightened his coat. "I'll go check on the smokehouse and see how the meat is coming along. Go in and see if your mother needs any help."