Chapter Nineteen - Invasion of the Twins

Copyright (C) 2009 Jenna Elizabeth Johnson

All Rights Reserved

The Legend of Oescienne - The Finding is posted for your reading enjoyment only and not to be reposted anywhere else. Thank you and happy reading!

This novel can also be found on:

Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Oescienne-Finding-Book-ebook/dp/B002J9HMQA/

Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/legend-of-oescienne-the-finding-jenna-elizabeth-johnson/1102956351?ean=2940032888543

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/legend-oescienne-finding-book/id488506263?mt=11

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/107185

Kobo: https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/ebook/the-legend-of-oescienne-the-finding-book-one

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Jenna_Elizabeth_Johnson_The_Legend_of_Oescienne?id=uWxjCgAAQBAJ&hl=en

CHAPTER NINETEEN

INVASION OF THE TWINS

The spring months slowly drifted away and the lazy rainclouds swept gently across the sky, draining their life-giving waters and pulling the soft air of summertime behind them. The last frosty clutches of winter had crawled away from the sleeping earth months ago, and outside the Castle Guard Ruin the little garden by the window was overflowing with fragrant flowers. Summer was in full swing in Oescienne, and another school year was finally over. Jahrra didn't mind this passage of time, however. Not only would she be free of her classmates during the warm months, but she would be starting her new lessons with Yaraa and Viornen.

The only bad thing about these lessons, Jahrra reminded herself, was that they took time away from Gieaun and Scede. They also meant following through with Jaax's wishes.

It was times like these that Jahrra would wonder about the enigma that was Raejaaxorix and how much he irritated her. She tried to convince herself she was glad the Tanaan dragon had arrived and left so abruptly, but if she wanted to be truly honest with herself, deep in her heart she was disappointed. When her curiosity finally overruled her stubbornness, she asked Hroombra about the other dragon's strange habit of visiting the Castle Guard Ruin then disappearing just as suddenly.

"He has obligations outside of this province Jahrra, and many of these obligations require extensive traveling."

"He always has excuses, he can't be that busy!" she complained, forgetting she didn't care either way. "And why does he get to tell me what to do anyways? He's never here!"

During the final weeks of school before summer, Jahrra told Gieaun and Scede about her new schedule. She kept her promise by not telling them about her mysterious elfin instructors, but she hadn't been able to hide her irritation with Jaax.

"I'm sure he isn't trying to be mean Jahrra," Gieaun encouraged. "It's probably his way of being supportive."

"Supportive!?" Jahrra snapped, and then she added with thick sarcasm, "That's right, you're not around when he insults my intelligence or accuses me of lying."

Gieaun flinched and didn't say another word. She knew how frustrated Jahrra got when discussing the Tanaan dragon, so Gieaun thought it best not to say anything else unless asked directly.

The weeks passed and Jahrra thought more about this sudden change in her life. She found herself wondering, not for the first time, exactly why Hroombra and Jaax insisted on the swordsmanship and archery lessons with the elves. She longed to ask her guardian, but she knew exactly what he'd say: 'You'll understand one day,' or 'It's for the best that you don't know', or 'These lessons will strengthen your character.' Why couldn't he just give her a straight answer for once?