Chapter 12- The Heart's Obligation

Draco jolted awake from his nightmare. He sighed in relief. If only that's what really happened. He stood in the doorway of the restaurant, glancing at her sitting alone at the table. He knew as soon as he saw her. She was his secret admirer. What shocked him most is what she had said to him in the letter. It made sense it was her, I mean, a muggle Italian restaurant? It screams Granger!! He couldn't believe she thought he was 'rugged handsome'. I guess I really am, he thought with a smirk on his face.

As they waiter ushered him to her table, he couldn't help but notice that she looked pretty tonight. This date must've meant a lot to her. He decided he would let her down easy. He wouldn't be harsh or yell.

He stood in front of her and cleared his throat causing her to look up quickly. She was obviously waiting for someone.

"Malfoy?" She said with a red face, staring right at him. "Will you leave? I'm waiting for someone!"

He crossed his arms and stared at her, his smirk growing wider. He was confused. Was she not waiting for him? This made no sense. She really had no idea, did she?

"Oh honey," He said leaning against the table. "Don't you remember that it's me?"

A look of confusion crossed her face then shock. She really had a whole range of emotions. That's women for you, he thought.

"You're the one who wrote the letter honey. Don't you remember? 'I would die if anyone saw it!'" he said.

"Excuse me?" She nearly yelled, looking furious and perplexed. "I didn't write a letter, you did! 'I have grown fond of your pretty smile!'"

There was a moment of silence.

"On the count of three, show your letter." She said, reaching into her bag.

Oh, so she had gotten one too? Well, he knew had certainly not sent it. As if he would. He reached into his pocket to grab his own.

"One..."

"Two..."

"Three!"

At that they both pulled out their letters, his landing on the table softly and hers being slammed to the table in rage.

"I can't believe you did that!" They yelled at the same time.

Many people in the restaurant turned to stare at them. They sure were making a scene and they hadn't even ordered yet. Draco turned to see a nervous waiter standing near the entrance to the eating area.

Hermione looked like she was just about ready to cut his head off. He did not want to look like an idiot in front of all these people.

"Can we take this somewhere else?" He whispered. "We're kind of exposed here!"

He could tell Hermione was blushing at the wording of his question, but had calmed down quickly and nodded her head in agreement to his proposal.

Draco paid the bill and apologised for any problems they had caused, then walked with Hermione to an alleyway.

Ha, he thought. Who would've known I could get Granger all to myself in a dark alleyway?

He broke out of his thoughts to see her awkwardly staring at him, waiting for his go. He nodded and she tentatively put her hand on his shoulder, letting them apparate together back to Hogwarts.

~

Their feet touched the ground and they made eye contact. He knew she would of course be mad, but she didn't show it right away.

"Did you send the letter Malfoy?" She asked in a quiet voice, facing away from him. He was surprised she was not screaming 'ferret!'

"No, of course not!" He said with a snort, at the thought.

"Well then who did?" She asked softly as she suddenly turned to face him, her face less than a centimetre away.

He was caught by surprise. She looked beautiful in the moonlight, he couldn't deny that. And the way she smelt! Heavenly. He could not answer. His instincts kicked in and he moved in to kiss her. Her perfect brown eyes fluttered shut and he moved closer. But then he realised what he was doing.

He burst away from her and ran. He ran as far as he could. He knew she wasn't chasing him, that there was nothing to run from. He just couldn't stand being near her anymore. Draco didn't understand himself why he acted this way, but he didn't stop himself.

He soon found he was standing on the quidditch pitch, out of breath and out of time. Draco knew he would find himself somewhere that was dear to his heart, and was grateful that it wasn't Hermione's old dorm or anything of the like. Draco knew quidditch was important to him, but why had it led him here?

The heart wants what it wants, he thought. But what do I want?

~

Hermione stood in a daze, waiting for Draco to return. But he didn't. Why would he run? Was he horrified at the fact that she might've loved him? Maybe he was. She didn't care what he thought of her. Not in least. At least that's what she told herself. She broke out of her stupor and began walking to somewhere, anywhere from where she had nearly kissed him.

She arrived finally, standing in front of the Fat Lady, the painting entrance of the Griffindor dorms. Hermione nearly burst into tears right there. She did really miss her friends. They meant so much to her and she hoped that they knew that. Hermione needed to see them again.

The hearts wants what it wants, she thought as she slumped against the railing. But what do I want?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------A/N

Hey guys! Sorry for such a long wait! I've recently gone back to school and have a lot of tests coming up so I'm finding it hard to put in time to write. Hope you enjoy! Also thanks so much for 400 views! Wow!! You guys mean so much so thank you for investing your time into my little book. I put a lot of work into putting this chapter up for you guys so make some to vote and comment!

love,

ash