Chapter 26- A Not-So Coincidental Reservation

They sat at the dining table with cups of warm tea in their hands, the steam heating up their faces. It was silent, and you could hear the chirping of the birds and the wind rustling through the trees outside. Draco was happy. He hadn't seen his mother in a while. He had been keeping away. Even though this is where he grew up, he had bad memories here and it was hard to be with only one other person in an enormous house. But Hermione being there made the house full of life. It made the colours brighter, even if it was dusk. She made the conversations ten times more interesting and every sound a symphony. They'd been talking for hours. About school and other stuff they had missed out on. They had made it through three whole pots of tea.

"So how have you been these past few weeks?" Draco asked, looking to his mother.
"Oh good. A bit lonely, but I've been passing time with gardening." She nodded and smiled wistfully, taking a sip of her tea.

"Well, it really shows." Hermione replied. "It's lovely landscaping."

"Thank you."

Draco's mother stood slowly, and placed her mug on the sink. She put the cake back into the fridge and turned to the two Ravenclaws.

"Well kids, I think it is time to get ready for our dinner reservations." She said, leaning against the table.

Yes, that was right, they had reservations at a nearby restaurant. He had forgotten. Hermione stood as well, and gave her mug to Narcissa with a thank you. Draco stood to follow her upstairs, but he was held back by a light grip around his wrist.

"Let her go. I need some help with the washing up."

He nodded and turned to start drying up. He felt like what she said was a bit of a fib, since the only plates to wash were the ones they had been using that afternoon. But maybe she just wanted to talk in private.

Again, it was silent, the clinking of ceramic and the splashes of soapy water filling it up.

"I just want to know Draco... why the sudden change of heart?" She questioned. "I thought you always hated Hermione."

He nearly dropped his plate into the sink.

"I never hated her Mum." He turned to her. "...Honestly, I always had a crush on her, and that's why I was so mean."

"Ah. I see." She gave him a wink and smiled, showing her perfect teeth. "I hope you know what you're doing."

"Yes Mum! Don't worry!" He exclaimed in exasperation, picking up the glass again and drying as quick as he could. Draco could barely keep himself from running off with embarrassment.

With a crinkle of plastic, she pulled two sealed packets from her apron and put them in his pocket. Condoms.

"Jesus Christ."

She burst into laughter. But the noise of the high-heels on hardwood distracted him. His breath was taken away as he saw Hermione looking stunning, in a black, scoop neck, mini-skirt dress, which tied around the neck. Her hair was pulled into a bun with her bangs out, and she was wearing light makeup and some black pumps. She looked positively... wow. Now he can see why his mother had given him the condoms. Maybe that was her plan all along. Damn that woman.

"How do I look?" She asked, giving him a teasing smile.
"Uh... err... you..." He stuttered, his face reddening.
"Beautiful, Hermione. Beautiful." Narcissa replied. She was already shoving Draco up the stairs to get ready.

"We'll be down in just a minute."

~

Hermione was wringing her hands, as she stood in the line. Draco was stood behind her. He gave her a quick smile when she twisted around to see him and she smiled weakly back. God she was nervous. Hermione may talk the talk and walk the walk in her outfit, but she was certainly not feeling it. She felt unbelievably self-conscious in such a tight-fitting and incredibly short dress. Everyone is staring at me! Ok, she was really, really nervous about having a dinner with Draco. The date was going to end badly, if she was going off what happened last time. And yes, her logic didn't make any sense since, they had already had been getting along well for the past few months. But she couldn't help it! Her brain was on overdrive. Something was going to happen tonight, she just knew it.