Chapter 30- Tropical Solicitation

"Haha, I win!" Draco shouted in triumph, bursting into through the front door, his girlfriend in tow.

Hermione shoved him angrily, her hair all in her face from running. She let out an annoyed grunt and walked out of the room, mumbling something about how worthless sports was. He laughed, but before he could follow, his mother stepped out in front of him, looking scarily angry.

It just keeps going, doesn't it?

"Uh... How's my lovely mother going?" He asked, nervously faking a smile. Draco moved to hug her, but she slapped his arms away.

"I'm very disappointed."

Draco nodded, terrified. The look on her face was probably enough to make Voldemort shrink in fear.

"Go set up the Christmas Tree." She ordered shortly and stormed off back into the kitchen to continue cooking dinner.

He walked into the living room apprehensively, expecting to get another earful from Hermione, but to his surprise she was standing on her tiptoes at the bookshelf, trailing her fingers across the spines of the many books contained in the Malfoy household. Draco slowly crept up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist from behind, pulling her into a hug. Instead of the cute squeal and hug he expected, Hermione instead kicked him right in the balls. And then kneed him in the stomach. And then she punched him in the nose. Like a fucking champion kickboxer. And god, oh god, did it hurt. He collapsed to the ground and lay there, groaning. Hermione stared down at him, looking embarrassed.

"Are- are you okay?" She stuttered, bending down beside him and taking out her wand to heal him.

"I took some self-defense classes a while back, and I guess they just kicked in." She said with a smile and a giggle.

I don't want to look like a baby, he thought as he pulled himself up off the ground. Draco attempted a confident smile, leaning his arm up against the bookshelf.

"Just looking at your cute little face, makes me feel better."

She smiled guiltily and unexpectedly, leant over pulled him into a hug. It was painful, but worth it to get feel her body against his.

"There's my apology." Hermione released him, beaming, leaning over him.

"You're forgiven." He couldn't help but return the smile. She looked so pretty, with the frizzy hair and bright smile that made him fall in love with her.

Silence followed, them both just smiling at each other, love-struck and starry-eyed.

"Anyways," He said, turning away awkwardly, embarrassed by the sentimentality of the situation.

"Mum wants us to set up the Christmas Tree."

"Oh ok." Her voice was flat and muted.

And so, there they stood, finally with the tree up. They had spent half an hour in silence, putting the tree together. Draco stared at the empty Christmas tree. With an empty mind and an empty heart. And then he looked to Hermione. She too was staring straight ahead at the undecorated tree, with a blank face. Then, a lightbulb appeared. Well, figuratively.

"Well, I think it's time for some Christmas lights!" Draco said, clapping his hands together, making Hermione jump.

She turned to him. A weird look was on her face. But then. A smile. The light in her eyes was back and so was her smile.