Chapter 25- An Unsuccessful Investigation

A week later, Hermione, Ron and Harry were standing back at Platform Nine and Three Quarters again, saying goodbye to their friends and going off on Christmas holiday break. Except this time Draco Malfoy was with them. If you had told Draco this was where he would be three years ago, he would have laughed and asked to hear another joke. But now it was very real. Over the past week, Hermione and her friends had made up, and with Draco, sat together in classes and hung out after school. Draco had somehow befriended Harry, and Ron had begrudgingly agreed to be civil. Draco had come to feel welcome in the group. The girls had been getting along swimmingly, as they always have. But sadly, everyone was going their separate ways for the Christmas holidays and so, they would be apart. The Potters were heading back to the Burrow with Ron to share the big news and then eventually heading back home.

"We'll miss you guys!" Ginny happily called, leaning out the window as their train started moving.

"Don't have too much fun!" Harry yelled playfully. He locked eyes with Draco and made him gulp.

Although Harry had become his friend, he still acted as Hermione's 'father.' You know, making sure there was no funny business between them. It was mostly fun and games, but it still made Draco a nervous wreck. I'm sort of glad he's gone, he sighed.

"Come on Draco, don't look so glum! The holidays will be over before you know it and they'll be back!"

Hermione pulled Draco into a bear hug and stood on her tiptoes to kiss his cheek. She was quite fond of this manoeuvre and frankly, so was Draco.

"But I don't want the holidays to end! I want more time with you!" He shouted as he picked her up and spun her around.

Her laughter filled the air like music and her hair flew around her face as she spun, her perfect lips going into a smile.

"Draco! Put me down!" She squealed, beating her fists on his back. She was beautiful. Breathtaking.

Just as her feet touched the ground, Professor McGonagall walked up to them. Draco smoothed his clothes at an attempt to look respectable. He wasn't expecting her to see them off.

"Miss Granger, Mr Malfoy. Hope you are doing well and are, of course, excited for the holidays." She spoke formally, although she was obviously excited herself.

"Yes, Professor. We are." Hermione smiled up at Draco, making his heart beat a little faster. "What's up?"

The Headmistress pulled them off to the side behind a barrier in a sudden movement, taking them by surprise. She fidgeted with her fingers.

"We're not making much progress in the investigation." McGonagall stated with a serious tone, glancing around to check if anyone was listening.

Hermione's expression changed from happy to blank. She sat down on her luggage and placed her head in her hands. He didn't want this to ruin their time together. It hurt to see her sad. He placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, stepping close to her.

"So what is the problem?" Draco replied hurriedly, eager for this conversation to finish.

Professor McGonagall stepped closer and her tone lowered to a whisper. "We checked the teacher's schedules. His schedule checks out, but so do many others. We're taking your statement and closely combing for clues, but so far nothing has come up."

A small sob came from Hermione, she was shaking and was whispering something. He too, felt his heart sink. He was desperate for some evidence. That fucker needed to be locked up in Azkaban.

The train was slowing to a stop at the platform and would leave any minute now.

"We can't thank you enough, Professor but we must be going."