The Blue Letter

Two days Zara sat on her bed, staring out the window. The light rain fell down onto the glass window, causing slight condensation to form on the inside. She wanted to go back to the library, but there was no point. It had been raining for the past few days and she had been stuck inside. She couldn't barely step outside of her own house without getting soaked in rainwater, never mind the library.

Zara ran her hand over the comforter. Then, she got up and walked out of her room. She walked down the hall where she saw her father, about to go to the bakery.

"Hey dad," Zara said.

"Hey honey," he replied. "I'm heading to Slice of Heaven. I'll be home in a few hours."

"Alright," Zara said. "Love you."

"Love you too sweetie."

After that, he walked out the door, shutting it behind him.

Zara thought she might as well get out and get some fresh air. She had been forced in the confines of her small apartment for days. She needed to get out of here and venture around Paris for a little bit, even though it was raining, but still, it was just a slight drizzle.

Zara walked up to her room and reached underneath her bed. Her hand grappled for a small jewelry box containing her money. She brought it out from under the bed and opened it. She grabbed out a few euros and proceeded to put it back, but her fingers lingered for a moment.

That jewelry box was her mother's and the most prized possession that Zara had. It was the only thing she had left of her mom. Everytime she touched the box, she knew her mother had touched it. Somehow, it made her feel like she was still with her.

Zara let go of the jewelry box and got up. She walked out of her room and proceeded to grasp the handle of the front door. As she turned the knob, she heard a peck at the window. Zara turned around.

Amidst the light rain, a beautiful white dove was looking in through the glass. In its small talons, it held a pale blue letter.

Zara rushed over to the window and opened it. The dove caught her eye once, then dropped the letter onto the floor of her apartment, and flew away. Zara closed the window quickly so no more rain would come in.

Zara leaned over and grabbed the surprisingly dry, blue letter.

On the back of the letter, it was sealed with an indigo colored crest made from wax. On the crest, there was flowers wrapping around a B, The flowers then grew into two wands, intersecting one another.

As carefully as she could, she opened the pale blue letter. She began to read.

Bonjour Zara,

You have been accepted at Beauxbatons Academy of Magic. Here you will learn to learn about your magic and harness it to become the next greatest witch or wizard of your time. Here, you will be led by the newly appointed headmistress, Flora Montgomery. Here in this beautiful palace, you will welcomed with open arms. In two hours, a witch or wizard will come to your house and explain everything and also take you to get your school supplies. (List is found on the second page of this letter.)

We await your arrival at the start of term on August 31.

Sincerely,

Gabrielle Roth

Deputy Headmistress.

Everything made sense now! She was going to learn about magic. She knew she was a witch. The books had been right!

She looked at the second page.

In order to attend Beauxbatons, you will need these items.

Items

-One wand

-One pale blue cauldron

-One telescope

-Four sets of crystal vials

Books

-Spells for Beginners by Melanie Hartman

-A Beginners Guide to Potions by Cerberus Baldwin

-Transfiguration (Grade 1) by Roselyn Day

-Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander

-Herbology (Grade 1) by Edward Bailey

-Dark Forces Striking our World Today by Arielle Harris

Pets (optional)

CHOOSE ONE

-Cat

-Owl

-Pegasus (to be held in the palace stables)

-Thestral (to be held in the palace stables)

That concluded the letter. She was so excited, she could hardly think straight. Two hours would move as slow as a millennium. She decided to go to the Starbucks down the street to pass the time. She walked out the front door and proceeded to walk to the coffee shop. When she arrived, she walked up to the front counter.

"What would you like today?" The man asked.

"One Caramel Frappuccino with whipped cream please," Zara said.

The man behind the counter quickly made her drink. While she waited, she stared at the clock.

One hour and thirty minutes left, Zara thought.

The man handed her her latte. She thanked him and walked out of Starbucks.

When she was almost home, she heard a gunshot. Panicked, she began to sprint home. Terror filled her head. She ran faster then she ever had her entire life. She turned a corner, anxiety piercing her heart like a needle. Another gunshot went off, and another, until she could only hear ringing in her ears, knowing the gunman was close. WIth as much courage as she could, she looked behind her.

It was the man who had followed her home that one day many years ago. Never would she forget that face. It was forever etched into her mind, carved in with the blade of fear.

One more building, Zara thought. Then I'll be home.

She sprinted as fast as she could. She fumbled for the lock until she stuffed the key in and turned it. She was about to run in the house when she heard the footsteps behind her.

There was a man, standing right between her and the gunman.

Her father.

Zara screamed no, and then the gunshot filled the air. Her dad slumped to the ground dead, blood staining his white apron red. The gunman pointed the gun at her, not even looking at her father's dead body, not caring. Hatred and anger filled inside of her. She lifted her hand. The man laughed. A flash of green light came from her fingertips and hit the man. He slumped to the ground dead, right next to her father.