Firethorns

The morning sunlight made the palace gardens shimmer as Archer, Clara, and Zara went for a walk in the flowering outdoors because the Selection had been cancelled. They were overjoyed. At least of now, they didn't have to worry about the tasks in the near future. In fact, there was word that the Selection would be cancelled completely. People even thought that it could be jinxed and caused the kids to disappear as a punishment, but Zara, Clara, and Archer knew that wasn't true. It was the Coven that had caused the dreadful event.

"How are we going to get the other students back?" Clara asked.

"I don't know. I'm not sure it's really our job. I mean, we're all only eleven," Archer responded.

"But what about the stories that would be told about us? We could be famous!" Zara said.

"I guess that's true."

Together, the three of them walked around the gardens, taking in the sweet aroma of all the pleasant roses, the wonderful daisies, and many other flowers which scents filled the air.

"This is probably the prettiest part of Beauxbatons," Archer said.

Zara and Clara both nodded their heads in agreement. Then, Zara stumbled and then fell as she tripped over an overgrown rose bush root. A searing pain shot through her knee and she looked down. She had only scraped her knee, but it was burning like fire.

"Did you just cut yourself on that firethorn bush?!" Archer asked scared.

"I guess so, I mean, look at that root down there. Anyways, why are the thorns so big?" Zara asked.

She looked closer at the root. Thick black liquid was oozing out of the long, pointed thorns. The smell was so intriguing, but the look of the plant up close was so disgusting.

"Oh no!" Archer said. "Firethorns are poisonous! We need to get you to an antidote right away!"

"Why?" Zara said while she looked down at her leg.

The veins once blue were turning black as the poison from the firethorn started to creep down her leg. Her wound from the firethorn bush was beginning to ooze thick, black pus. Then, the burning began.

"AAAAAAH" Zara screamed in horror as she felt her leg burn.

Her entire leg felt like it was on fire all the way down to the bone. The black veins began to creep up down to her foot and up to her stomach. She screamed.

"GET THE ANTIDOTE NOW!" Zara cried between gasps.

Tears began to fall from her eyes as the burning sensation crawled up her stomach and onto her eyes. They burned like fire as they began to turn black, blocking parts of her vision.

"HELP ME!" Zara screamed.

The burning crept up to her scalp, and she felt the like fire had surrounded her whole body. Not only was she in pain, but she knew she was dying. She knew she had to call for help, but the pain was so intense that she didn't know what she was saying.

"Zara! Stay with me! Archer's gone to find the antidote. All he needs are crushed up petals from normal roses. They will stop the pain and end the poison. Luckily, there are roses all over this garden," Clara said.

To Zara, it only sounded like a whisper. Then, her body began shaking madly. She knew this was soon to be the end.

Then, everything went black.