The S.S.S

"I-I...I can't read it" I said in a depressing and shocking voice. Mayle looked at me and said,"well just try to pronounce it." "I-I cant.. I can't read anymore." I was so depressed that I had lost my memory of reading. "Let me get a look at it." Mayle said looking up at me. "No, I need to know how to read." I told her.

Mayle growled,"fine.." Mayle ran out of the den fast, "where are you going?" Mayle ignored me and kept running. I watched her until she was out of sight. I sat there... waiting..looking around if anything could help me. I went to the shelf again and looked at the letters. I couldn't make out what it said. The voice came back and whispered.. "SSSssss." I yelled,"Who's there!?" There was no answer.

I looked around the room and saw nothing. Then I saw Mayle running toward the den. She was holding some sort of book. But I didn't know exactly what it was. She entered the den and approached me and handed me the book. I looked down at the book then back at Mayle, forgetting about the voice,"What is it?"

Mayle responded," a dictionary." I asked,"what's that?" "All the words we use." I looked at the book then back at her,"oh...thanks, but I still don't know how to read.""I'm gonna teach you." She said grabbing the dictionary.

Mayle showed me all the letters of the Alphabet and taught me how to prounouce it. Night after night day after day. It took months but I began to read.

"Good, you know how to read but just to make sure I want you to keep this." Mayle hands me the dictionary,"you know...just in case." "Th-thanks." I looked outside the den, the night began to fall. I looked at Mayle,"its getting late we better sleep, you can sleep over if you want."

Mayle got up and looked at me,"its quite alright, my parents get stubborn when I go home late." "Well..thanks for everything!" I yelled while she was walking out of the den. Mayle stopped and quickly turned and ran towards me,"you should hide that eye of yours just in case other wolves get freaked out or make fun of you." I looked down with a depressing face and sighed, "ok." Mayle sighs and says,"don't take it like that, just..be careful."

Mayle walks out of the den turning to me and we both say,"bye." Mayle ran off to her den out of sight. I turned to my desk and saw a cloth with red stains. I walked to the desk and picked up the cloth and tied it around my eye making sure my eye wasn't visible. I walked toward were I'd sleep and layed down there looking at the shelf whispering, "I'm gonna read you." I slowly fell asleep.

I opened my eyes and the sun shone out, I stood up and looked around still sleepy. I stretched my legs out and yawned. I saw Mayle coming toward me, she came closer and closer, really fast. My eyes were wide open now. She pounced on me yelling,"DID YOU READ IT?!?" I yelled back,"NO." She got off me and said,"oh...well..what are you waiting for?!?"

I looked at the shelf and approached it looking at the highest shelf were the letters were. "What does it say?" Mayle asked. "It-it..it says S.S.S?" I looked confused, "what does S.S.S mean?" Mayle gasped and made a shocking face. "What?!" I said. "It's abbreviated." Mayle said in a firm voice. I looked at Mayle, confused,"what does that mean?"

Mayle looked at the dictionary and pointed to it. I looked at it and said,"right.. " I walked toward it and grabbed it, looking for the word abbreviated. I read; Abbreviated: shorten(a word, phrase, or text.) I looked at Mayle,"oh." I went toward the shelf and looked at where it had the letters S.S.S. I thought..what could this mean?

Mayle thought and said,"it might be the appearance...like the S could stand for shelf. Right?" I thought,"maybe, but what about the other two S's?" Mayle stared at me and spoke,"did..you see anything else in your vision?" I tried to recognize but said,"just me reaching on the shelf...sliding a wall where a pair of keys were and using one of the keys to open this..some sort of..secret door or safe.

"That's it! Its a Secret Shelf Safe!" Mayle screamed in excitement. "Of course!" I exclaimed. I reached to the top of the shelf sliding the wall..there I saw a pair of keys and one was our ticket to opening the safe. I grabbed a key and placed it in the lock I twisted it and, SNAP, it opened.

"First try.." I said in pleasure. I opened the safe and inside was a book, it was bright red and had a heart locket with a silver pen. I grabbed both the book and pen. Mayle was now over my shoulder breathing heavily so desperate to see. I looked at the front cover it read, Diary, below it it said, This Diary belongs to Mage. Mayle and I looked at each with such thriller and excitement. Looking at the diary I opened it and whispered "Finally the moment of truth..."