Tell me this is a Joke

The Enforcer’s Daughter

Chapter One

(Tell me this is a Joke)

Tori waited until the last customer left apparel and entered the parking lot. She quickly locked the doors and turned to see more than one tired fellow employee. The 50thAnniversary sale had gone better than projected. Chadler’shad experienced wall to wall customers from the moment the door opened until closing time. Everyone was tired.

“This place is a wreck!” Sandy commented glancing around the cash registers and juniors department.

“I know. Lets just hit tables, overs and unders and call it good.” Tori announced.

“See this is why I like it when you close.” Grace said. “You’re reasonable.”

Tori laughed, her bright green eyes sparkling. The blonde woman understood what she was referring to. Whenever Jill Harris closed she expected everything to be perfect before anyone left. Even on an insane day of customers. She’d even kept employees at work three hours after closing in the past. No one liked closing with her.

In contrast everyone loved closing with Tori or Aaron. On a night like this they understood everyone was wiped out and no one needed an over-demanding boss. Making sure nothing was hanging over or under racks was doable. Straightening tables was understandable. Having the fitting rooms cleared out was agreeable. Making sure every size was in order was ridiculous!

The apparel team worked together going through each department and quickly erasing the huge mess. Just under an hour later everything that needed to be done that night was.

“Alright everyone, let’s get out of here!” Tori announced brushing a bang than needed to be cut out of her face. There were a couple cheers and even a few claps and they headed for the employees lounge to collect their belongings and head for home.

“I so need a cigarette.” John announced, slipping on his jacket.

“Don’t smoke near me.” Sandy replied. “I’m allergic to that crap!”

“You’re allergic to everything.” Mike said rolling his eyes at the dark blonde woman.

“Yeah well at least she isn’t putting anything into her body that’s going to kill her.” Tori hinted. Unfortunately that’s when Sandy decided to pull out a Twinkie. “I stand corrected. Sandy that isn’t healthy! I thought your doctor told you to drop a few pounds!”

“I know, but after today I need it!” Sandy wailed.

Tori adored Sandy. It wasn’t that she wanted to nag the woman, but Sandy had suffered a heart attack and been placed on a strict diet. The man had flat out told the dark haired blonde she needed to lose weight. Tori knew because she’d been with Sandy when Doctor Dunnack had told her.

“No you don’t.” Tori said and calmly removed the twinkie from her hand. “Here eat this instead.”

“Oh yes Tori, chocolate is so much better.” Grace said, looking at the strawberry blonde woman.

“Yeah it is.” Tori announced and held out a wrapped piece of chocolate for everyone to see. It was sugar free and reduced fat.

John chuckled and shook his head. “I’m beginning to think you really do think of everything.” He commented. Tori shrugged and everyone headed out of the employee entrance.

Tori walked over to her Tuscan red Armada. The color was reddish-orange and Tori had immediately fallen in love with it. She bid everyone good bye and then, climbing into her SUV, headed home.

Although Tori had graduated college and had a degree, her father was adamant she live at home. He didn’t care that she could fully support herself. As far as he was concerned she belonged at home until she married. Tori probably would’ve argued but in truth she didn’t mind living at home. For one she never had to worry about guys trying to stay the night.

The streets were empty for the most part. While it was late it was also the middle of the week. Wednesdays weren’t exactly party nights.

She pulled into her neighborhood and after taking a couple turns made it on to her street. The blonde woman was more than a little surprised to see two vehicles she didn’t recognize in the driveway. Annoyed someone was in her spot she pulled along the curb and parked in the street.

Tori turned off her engine and grabbing her purse she headed up to the front door. Remembering she didn’t lock her vehicle she hit her keyless entry lock button and then headed inside.

“I’m home.” She called as she walked in closing the door behind her. Setting her purse down by the small narrow table against the wall she picked up her stack of mail.

“Tori come in here please.” Warren called.

“Sorry I didn’t call but my cell phone died and…”Seeing a small group of people she stopped. Tori only recognized two people; her father’s Alpha, Michael, and the other enforcer, Jake.

“What’s going on?” The green eyed girl inquired. Glancing at her mother she became even more concerned.

“You might want to take a seat.” Her father suggested.

“Bailey!” She called instantly. Hearing a bark the wolves felt the girl suddenly relax. Seeing her father look at her confused by her actions she said, “The last time you told me I might want to sit down was when Bailey got hit by a car!”

“This isn’t much better.”

Tori looked at her brother. “Where’s the cat?”

Warner rolled his eyes. “The animals are fine now sit.” The blonde woman was about to refuse again when she saw her father’s eyes darken in her direction.

“Sure.” She conceded and took a seat in an empty upholstered tan chair. When everyone remained silent Tori’s stomach started to knot. “Would someone please tell me what’s going on?”

“You will be attending a Unity Gathering.” Michael told her. When the young woman only blinked the alpha looked at his enforcer. “She has no idea what I’m talking about does she?”

“No.” Warner sighed and then looked at his daughter. How was he going to tell her she was at the mercy of the pack?

“Look it’s been a really long day so I would appreciate it if there was no beating around the bush and someone just told me what a Unity Gathering is and what it has to do with me.” She said tiredly. Watching the group before her look at each other left her feeling less than optimistic. It was going to be a long night.