A gift for Tori

Chapter 18

(A gift for Tori)

It was just after 9am as River and Drew arrived at the Baker’s Ranch. Drew pulled his gold pick-up next to the barn and they both got out.

“Hey River, Drew,” Sam said waving at the two men.

“Hey Sam,” They replied acknowledging the dark haired woman.

“I thought Anthony was kidding when he said you were coming to have a look at the rascals. What made you decide to…”

“It’s a gift for Tori,” River informed her. Before Sam could question it he said, “She used to have a Malamute.”

After Prince Adler had confirmed the contract River had wanted to get his bride a gift. Trevor had suggested he get her a ring but River wanted Tori to choose what she wanted. The blue eyed man wanted to give her something he knew she wanted. The only thing he knew for sure was that she missed having a Malamute.

“They’re up at the house,” Sam informed the two men. “I’ll show you.”

Drew and River followed the woman up to the house and out onto the screened in back porch.

“I’ll be damned you really are here,” Anthony commented from where he was sitting in the pin up on top of a bench. His legs were outstretched on the bench and crossed. A black and white pup rested on his chest which he was petting it.

“For Tori,” Sam said.

“You know what color?” Anthony inquired.

“Actually I…”

“Ruff” The men looked over to see a white pup jump at a couple more pups and knocking them off the rope they’d been playing with took the rope and walked away.

A smile crossed the blue eyed man’s face as he watched the spirited pup. River stepped over the bar into the pen and calmly walked over to where the pup had gone. He took hold of the rope and the pup let out a growl and started wrestling with the rope.

“She’s a good one. Feisty though,” Anthony warned.

“Sounds like a good match for Tori,” Drew commented.

“She’s never had a white one before,” River commented. “Misty was gray and white and Stripe was black and white.” He looked over to see three astonished faces. “What? White isn’t good?”

“No we’re just amazed you actually listen to what she says,” Sam commented. River narrowed his eyes at her and she laughed. “Anthony is right the white one is a strong pup. She’s very active though.”

“So is Tori,” Drew commented. “Tori likes the outdoors. Whatever dog that’s going to be hers is going to have to like the outdoors.”

“Little white there is a good option. We almost couldn’t get her back inside,” Sam commented. The dark haired woman looked around for a moment and then spotted another pup. “The brown and white one there is good too. Does she care if the dog is female or male?”

“No she’s had both.” River dropped the rope and walked over to the brown and white male pup. He picked it up and looked at it. The markings were beautiful. The dog could easily be used for show.

“Ruff!” River looked down to see the white female had its front paws on his foot and had dropped the rope.

“Demanding thing isn’t she?” Anthony commented.

“She’s attentive,” Drew remarked.

River put the male down and before he could react the white pup was in his arms as if to say ‘I’m the one you’re taking home!’ The light haired brunette man smirked at the pups antics. “I can take a hint.” He looked at Anthony. “This one.”