Dinner with the Enemy

Chapter 17

(Dinner with the Enemy)

River couldn’t help but feel happy as he dressed for dinner with the Viscount. He knew it would be tense but he didn’t care. Tori would be there and that’s all that mattered to him.

“Yeah?” He said hearing a knock on his door as he tied his Green, Blue, and silver tie. The blue eyed man had purposely gone and bought a tie with the color of Tori’s emerald green eyes in it. River wanted to make sure Tori knew she was on his mind. The fact the tie also had the same shade of blue eyes gave a silent ‘We belong together’ Message.

“You look very handsome,” Lady Kendra said proudly.

“Thanks mom. I hope Tori will notice the meaning behind my tie.”

“She will. That girl pays to close of attention not to,” Lady Kendra assured her son. Sensing his nervousness the red haired woman added, “Relax Riv…” Seeing her son frown she said, “River. I know you don’t like…”

“It’s okay mom. You just made me think about how much I miss hearing Tori call me Riv,” The blue eyed man admitted. “I never liked being called that until her. She’s nothing like I ever thought I’d want but…Tori’s everything I need and more. I love her mom; I really love her.”

Lady Kendra smiled at her youngest child. She’d always known when the right girl finally came a long he’d fall hard. “I know this isn’t easy son but you and Tori will get through this. The day is going to come that you’ll stand at the altar and that beautiful blonde haired green eyed girl is going to walk down that aisle and give herself to you for all time.”

River smiled. “Thanks mom. You’re right this might be a fight but, when all is said and done, I’m going to marry her.”

The red haired woman smiled. “Come on it’s time to go.” River nodded and offered his mother his left arm. Accepting, the two left his room and headed downstairs to a waiting Limo.

**

Tori stood before a full length mirror looking her appearance over. Viscount Cain had invited her mother to join them for dinner and she had come early and brought her daughter a blue dress.

“You look beautiful,” Karen said looking at the thin strapped, knee length, blue lace stretchy dress that would match River’s eyes.

“Thanks mom. And thanks for the dress,” Tori told her.

“I have to admit I was surprised when you were particular about the color,” The blonde woman commented. “River is the man you’re being forced to marry after all.”

Tori turned and looked at her mother. It was obvious the woman was still unhappy about everything. “I know this won’t make sense but…I want to marry River.” Seeing her mother start to argue she quickly said, “I’m falling for him mom. He loves me; really loves me.” Tori looked down and took both of her mother’s hands in hers. “I don’t want Cain to terminate the contract between River and me.” Slowly she looked up at her mother. “I never thought I’d have feelings for someone again. Not after Lucas but I do.”

“You’ve dated lots of boys,” Karen reminded her.

“Dated yes but… none of them have ever made me feel as special as Lucas did. River does mom. I know you don’t understand this and that you are against it but like it or not I will be married to a werewolf. Wouldn’t you like it to be with a wolf that loves me for me? A wolf, who isn’t trying to get even with someone through use of me?”

Karen sighed and looked at her daughter. She didn’t like what was happening in the least. The fact some higher wolf had chosen to seize her daughter was not making her feel more welcome to packs in the least. “You truly have feelings for River?” Tori smiled and nodded a confirmation at her mother.