Not knowing

Chapter 15

(Not knowing)

It was late as River sat out by the lake on the pool table. Thoughts of Tori filled his mind. River had liked many girls through the years but none had ever had the effect on him that Warner’s daughter did.

“What am I going to do?” River asked with a heavy heart.

“The only think you can do.” The blue eyed man was more than a little surprised to hear Drew’s voice. He was even more surprised as he looked back to see not only Drew but Hunter, Dustin and Harper as well. “You fight for her,” Drew told him.

“God knows I’m willing,” River replied. He watched as his friends climbed up on the table except for Harper who took a seat on his normal Boulder by the tree to the front right side of the table.

“Have you learned anything new?” Hunter inquired.

“You mean besides Salazar planning to get Armand close to Tori?” The light Brunette spat.

“Fuck,” Harper swore. “I’d say it won’t happen but Cain and Salazar are closer than they should be.”

“Did your dad contact Adler?” Dustin inquired.

“Yeah. I think Adler wants to wait to see how things look once the hearing has taken place. If Cain does anything that favors Salazar too much he’ll step in. He’s sending someone anonymous to witness. We won’t even know who it is.”

“Warner is with her though right?” Drew said. Seeing River nod he said, “Warner won’t let anything happen to her. You know that.”

“I know he’ll do everything possible,” River agreed. “Still Cain is the Viscount. Even Warner can’t stop some things.”

“Yeah well I’m not so sure he won’t kill someone if they try anything with his daughter,” Harper commented. “He’s very protective of her.”

“I know.” The group watched as their friend hung his head sadly.

Drew put a hand on his best friend’s shoulder. While guys don’t normally show affection like women do, when things get bad they can be just as supportive of their friends.

The guys almost jumped as Rivers phone abruptly went off. River pulled it out and looked at the caller ID. “It’s Warner.” Quickly he turned it on. “How is Tori?”

“She’s holding up,” Warner told him. “You’re father will be receiving a phone call from Cain in the morning. You’ll be able to see Tori tomorrow night.”

Hope flooded through River’s body. “I am? How? I thought no contact was permitted?”

“Normally no, but Cain didn’t know Tori had an altercation with some of Salazar’s men. If he allows Salazar around her he has to let you as well. He’s not happy I’m here at all.”

“This is good for us right?” The blue eyed man inquired.

“Yes and No. He’s trying to keep Adler from becoming involved. Cain didn’t say it but I can tell. He has to do something questionable or we’re going to be stuck with whatever Cain rules. Unless Adler can find a way to simply show up with a valid concern to oversee the arguments himself.”

“I think Adler’s waiting for him to as you said make a questionable decision.”

“Yeah well if he doesn’t call your father and allows Salazar here tomorrow night for dinner as it is currently planned then Adler will have his reason. I gotta go. I can’t pass messages as you know but from looking at her, she misses you.” Warner hung up.