Pool Party

Chapter Six

(Pool Party)

Nancy finished getting Teresa dressed and headed down to the pool. She was looking forward to meeting the girls that were potentials for her brother in law. She wanted to see how the experience would be for them and was curious how they would react to Teresa.

She knew not every girl would be comfortable around children but wanted to see if they would make an effort. Nancy also wanted to see who would try and use her daughter to gain attention and who would ignore the child completely. The woman also hoped the girls would at least be dressed decently. She could remember a few other girls in bikinis from when she’d been a potential for Trevor. Thong bikinis had been numerous.

The brown haired woman walked over and peered outside the window. She was pleased at counting eight ladies but rolled her eyes at a couple of the swimsuits. With a sigh she looked at Teresa. “Come on sweetie. Let’s go see uncle River.”

“Yeah!” The curly red haired child shouted excited, her pigtails bouncing with glee. Nancy smiled. There was no doubt the little girl adored her uncle. Nancy held out her hand and the little girl took it and they headed down stairs.

“Come on Mommy!” The little girl said pulling as they neared the door to the backyard. Nancy chuckled but complied walking a little faster. She opened the backdoor and the two headed out to the pool.

“Uncle River!” Teresa screamed and whipping her hand out of her mother’s went running to where the dark haired man stood in the shallow end of the pool.

River turned and seeing his niece knew she wouldn’t stop. Smiling at the carrot top he waited to catch her. Teresa barely hit the pool before launching herself into the air. He caught her moments later and she giggled.

The child hugged her uncle and he returned the hug. “You’re not supposed to run in the pool area.” River said gently.

“But I wanted you.”

“You could’ve gotten hurt!” A woman named Lori scolded. Her voice was sharp and not friendly towards the girl. “You’re just lucky River is strong enough to catch you.” Teresa suddenly took on a sad and almost scared face at the dark haired girl’s harsh words.

Nancy went to snap at the girl when she heard another voice. “Watch your mouth! She’s not your daughter and you have no reason to speak so rudely to her!” Tori snapped. Looking at the little girl she smiled warmly. “You must be the little ballerina your daddy mentioned the other night.” She’d noticed the girl looked like she would cry at Lori’s harshness and wanted to cheer her up. Teresa turned her eyes toward her. “You are too cute.” Teresa giggled and blushed into her uncle’s shoulder.

“Adorable!” A dark haired girl name Monique said quickly making her way over to the child. The woman touched the little girl as if soothing her but Tori noticed the girl flinch. She also noticed the woman was trying to be close to River.

River was less than sure what to do as the dark haired beauty began to insinuate herself with him and his niece. He was also very aware Teresa wasn’t comfortable and Monique was either oblivious to it or ignoring it.

“Hey Teresa want River to dive for you?” Nancy asked. She had noticed her brother in law’s discomfort and wanted to give him an out.

“Uh I would but…”

“I’ll hold the little darling.” Monique said smoothly and went to take her.

“No!” Teresa pouted and clung tighter to her uncle.

“How about if you jump in with your uncle?” Casey suggested in an attempt to be helpful.

“She can’t swim moron!” Lori said rolling her eyes.