She's Mine

Chapter Seven

(She’s Mine)

It was just before seven as Tori pulled into the fairgrounds and parked her Armada among the many cars that were there. She was amazed at the amount of people. The blonde woman had never been to a Unity Gathering and had no idea what to expect. Luckily her dad had sat down and explained a few things to her.

Unity Gatherings weren’t just for people that were of age to get married. Anyone that was not married attended, even kids. If parents chose they could betroth their son or daughter even when they were infants. Tori had though it was incredibly medieval but understood it was the way it was.

She’d left her hair down except for pulling the front of it back into a Barrette. Because it was a fair she chose to wear a pair of khaki cargo shorts and a Turquoise, white, and gold short sleeved knit top. She was casual and comfortable but also looked nice and clean. She didn’t want to get married but also had no intention of embarrassing her father. A pair of hiking boots completed the outfit.

As she approached the gate she showed the gate guard her pass and was admitted without question. She almost laughed as she noticed several women in stilettos. ‘Who wears stilettos to a fair?’ Tori thought to herself; shaking her head she continued to walk through the carnival that had been set up.

“Tori!” Looking over she saw Teresa come running out of nowhere towards her.

The blonde woman crouched down and as the little girl reached her picked her up without a second thought. “Hi Teresa,” She said and returned the little girl’s hug. “Where are your mom and dad?” Seeing the carrot top bite her lip and giggle Tori shook her head. “Your mom is going to be worried sick!” She rubbed noses before the little girl could even think to pout at her light scolding. “Let’s go find them okay?”

“Do we have to?”

“Yes,” The green eyed woman replied. Tori went to set the little girl down when she felt the four year old tighten her grip.

“Carry me Tori.”

“Alright munchkin.” Tori held on to her and walked through the crowds in the direction the child had come from. They walked for almost two minutes before the blonde woman noticed Nancy frantically looking around in the distance.

“Nancy!” Tori yelled. She watched as the woman looked her way and, even from a distance, looked relieved to see Teresa in her arms as she began walking towards them. They met up halfway.

“Nancy I…you found her,” Trevor said both pleased and relieved.

“Tori found her,” Nancy replied. “Thanks.”

“Sure. She came out of nowhere and didn’t know where you were,” Tori informed them.

“I wanted to see Tori,” Teresa said not seeing the problem. “Tori is a safe person.” Any harsh scolding disappeared from both her parent’s minds. They had all told the child that Tori wasn’t a stranger and she was safe.

“Yes she is,” Nancy agreed. “But next time tell us you’ve seen her and want to go to Tori okay?”

“Okay,” The little girl said. Nancy went to take the little girl but Teresa tightened her hold on the blonde woman. “No! Want Tori.”

“I know Sweetie but…”

“I don’t mind,” Tori assured the two adults. Noticing the Carousel she said, “Want to go for a ride?”

“Yeah!” The little girl said excited. Tori looked at the two parents. “Take a few minutes to yourselves. I got your little ballerina.”

“Alright,” Nancy said. The brunette was usually quick to decline anyone that wasn’t family watching her daughter but Teresa really liked the girl and she had confidence in Tori.