The Restaurant

It's been a few weeks. Izzy and I are good, close friends and I don't plan on letting that go again. Hope, Maureen and I are going out together tonight. It's a sad day for us, it would've been Daisy's sixteenth birthday.

We're going out to honor her all too short life by going to her favorite hang out place. We would go to this restaurant together, the four of us, just to hang out and have fun whenever we could.

Maureen didn't wear makeup, but her tears that she tried to dry gave the effect of mascara on her eyelashes. She wore a plain black dress, which was surprising because I didn't know she owned any dresses. She put on a soft smile when she saw me approach.

Hope didn't wear makeup either, but she held back her tears strongly. She stood next to Maureen, in a soft red dress with black flowers printed on it.

I had some makeup on actually, just some eyeliner and eyeshadow. I wore a black and white patterned dress. We all agreed to wear dresses because Daisy always wanted to see us all dressed up formally and together. It never happened, I wish she saw all of us now. I'd like to think she can.

"Hey," Maureen said. Her voice cracked. She's barely ever spoken since what happened. I think she's the one who need this the most.

"Hi," I try with a wave. We've all been so awkward around each other lately. We've barely even talked since Daisy passed on. I smile at them both, but then focus on Hope.

Hope, the girl who looked so strong a second earlier, just looked back at me and Maureen. Her breathing became uneven and she just let the tears fall.

I ran up to her and hugged her, Maureen doing the same, and soon enough we were all a mess of tears.

"I love you guys, I love Daisy. I loved Daisy. No, no, I still do love her. I never told you all how much I love you!" Hope spoke out with a shaky voice as we all tried to price ourselves back together.

"I know, me too," Maureen speaks a bit more controlled. I just nod, afraid that if I open my mouth I'd start to cry again.

"Here," Maureen holds out a small packet of tissues for us each to take some.

After twenty minutes catching up and becoming happier sitting outside the restaurant, we decided to actually go in. As soon as the door opened I heard Hope speak. "Del, isn't that the Izzy girl your in love with?"

"Who said I'm in love with her?" I speak in a yelling tone and a whispered voice.

"You," Maureen states as the two of them burst into a fit of giggles. Dear gosh I hate them. Still, I looked to where Hope pointed earlier and, sure enough Izzy sat at an empty table for two. She wore a light blue dress with her hair slicked back into a bun. She looked beautiful. I saw the waitress approach her and they were close enough where I could hear the conversation.

"Excuse me, miss, but are you ready to order?" She asked with a gentle smile.

"Please just a little more time, my date should be here soon," she replied.

Date. Date. Izzy was supposed to be on a date. She doesn't love me. She doesn't like me. Only as friends.

I felt one of the friends who I came here with place their hand on my shoulder. They must be listening too, only I never looked to see who it was.

"Miss, I really do hate to be the one to tell you this, but you've been saying that for the past thirty minutes," the waitress replied, with obvious pity in her voice. And then I realized that Izzy was getting numerous looks of pity. I saw her shift uncomfortably in her seat, embarrassment clear within her.