~!* Chapter 4 *!~

The gates behind me closed with a loud sound. Now, there is no turning back. I knew, if I looked back now, I might not have the guts to leave this place. So, I Started to walk on a dirt path witch was leading into the woods. The day was sunny, well, not sunny, because there literally was no sun, just clear skies.

I felt my stomach turn, not in a bad way, but in a way which expressed my excitement. The birds in the forest were chirping, everything was so peaceful. This is odd, Toriel had told me that the outside is..cruel, nothing like this. Maybe she was overreacting?

A small smile crept on my face, as I looked around. The forest was cleaned up nicely, even the dirt path looked clean. The trees were casting shadows, which contrasted with the light just the right way. I wished I had a camera with me, so I could capture this breathtaking view.

For some time, I just kept walking ahead. The path didn't have any turns, so I didn't have any choice but move forward. My mind kept wandering back to Toriel. How I broke my promise. I hope she'll understand in due time.. It's not like I can go back and apologize, she told me to never come back.

Suddenly, I hear a twig snap just like in those cliché movies. But this wasn't a movie, this was all real. Fear crept up my spine, making me stop and strain my ears to listen. What if one of the monsters found me? I realized, that I didn't bring anything with me that could help me defend myself from unwanted guests.

The bushes rustled and I stumbled back. I sighed as a frog-like-creature hopped out of them, minding its own business. This frog, however, was way bigger than any normal frog you'd see in biology books. Luck was by my side as it happily hopped away.

"It was just a frog.." I smiled and shook my head. I resumed my walk, mindlessly looking around, unaware that someone was watching me.

-:-Time skip-:-

I pushed open the purple gates that were in front of me, and stepped through without a care.

I snapped out of my daydream phase when I noticed crunching beneath my feet. Was this snow? I reached down and touched it. Yep, it indeed is snow. They have seasons in the Underground? That's strange.

I wrapped my hands around myself in attempt to keep warm. The cold winds grew stronger with each passing minute. If I'll stay out here, I might freeze to death. Or some monster could find me and end my life. Better start walking faster.

I jumped over a huge branch. Huh, I wonder why is it in the middle of the road like that? I walked a few steps forward and the branch snapped. I gasped and whipped around, only to see no one, but the branch was split in half. Quickly, I rushed forward.

I came upon a bridge. It's bars were big enough for me to squeeze through. If this was meant for keeping unwanted guests out, then the one who made it didn't calculate the width. Or overdid it.

As I was just about to squeeze through, I stopped as I heard footsteps crunching right behind me. Maybe it was that frog? Hopefully.
The steps stopped a few inches from me, but I didn't dare to turn around, in fear of what I would see.

"Human." A deep voice spoke. "Don't you know how to greet a new pal? Turn around and shake my hand."

I was trembling slightly, but I gathered all my willpower to turn around. What I saw before me, was a skeleton. A skeleton. Wearing a blue jacket, underneath it was a white shirt and strangely enough, he was wearing slippers. In this weather? My eyes trailed up to meet his. He was a inch or two taller than me. The skeleton was grinning, as if amused by me being scared/intimidated by him.