three

Mitch Grassi's POV

NOW I HAD TO GO to Starbucks and "make friends" with Scott, and even though I hadn't made that plan before, I was a little excited to do it. I did want to become his friend, I just don't know if he wants me to.

And so I kept on what I had, but fixed my hair a bit and flattened out the shirt and pants I was wearing. I texted Kirstie a "be there soon" and I shoved my phone into my back pocket, rushing out of my house and to the cliche coffee shop. I felt nerves bundle up in my stomach but I ignored them.

Soon, I was in front of the green place, and I entered, only to see the two talking at some booth, to which Scott looked very annoyed. Probably because of me, my nerves kept reminding me. Shut up, I muttered to myself. As I was fighting mentally with myself, I realized I should probably stop and so I went up to where they were and sat next to Kirstie. "You froze there for a few seconds," she said. "Anything wrong?"

I looked up, startled by her voice, and shook my head. "Nothing's wrong," I said.

Scott seemed to be curious, as if I were lying, but I ignored him and smiled at Kirstie. "You can go order something," Kirstie mentioned after awhile. "I need to tell Scott something anyways."

I nodded, and then I got up, going go the barista and doing exactly what she wanted me to.

Scott Hoying's POV

I looked to Kirstie with a bored look, waiting for what she had to tell me. "Listen," she said. "I know you're not all in for letting people back in, but you need to, whether or not you don't want to. You have to become his friend. You don't need to share your deepest and darkest secrets, but you do need to let someone break those barriers you have built up. Besides, he's cute and I think you two would get along really well. You did at the club, didn't you?"

I rolled my eyes, "Not really. We talked for like, what, forty seconds?"

She groaned, "Just be his friend. You need it," she whispered as Mitch came back. I found myself staring at him and immediately stopped, making my gaze go to my lap.

Mitch Grassi's POV

"Are you okay?" I asked Scott as he looked up from his lap. He nodded silently. I took a sip from the coffee I got as Kirstie smiled at me, almost in a forced manner. Something was wrong. Did they have a fight while I was gone for just a minute?

"Okay," I said. An awkward silence took over as we all didn't speak, even though I wanted to more than anything. We all continued to drink the drinks we had, and then I grabbed my phone out of my back pocket, only to notice it was almost dead. I looked back up and blushed when his stare met my glance. I smiled and I swear I saw the faintest smile on his lips, but just as quickly as it appeared, it went away and he looked back down.

"Scott," I said. He looked up again and waited. "I'm sorry if you don't want me to be here."

He pursed his lips, "I don't not want you to be here, it's just awkward."

I nodded, not speaking. What else could there be said?

"Share your interests," Kirstie demanded and I looked from her to him. I slowly nodded, then he spoke before I could. "I like cats, music, preferably Beyoncé, and I guess I could sing—" and then Kirstie groaned. "You can!"

He rolled his eyes as he waited for me. "Oh. I like Beyoncé too. I also like music and cats, I have one. His name is Wyatt," I smiled and he nodded, "What type?"

"Sphinx," I replied. "Hairless."

He tried to stop a smile from forming on his face and nodded, "My favorite."

Kirstie stared at the two of us as she chuckled. I looked to her with a puzzled expression, "What?"

"You two look so awkward but you aren't speaking awkwardly. You both seem uncomfortable," she said, smiling. I blushed, but Scott spoke. "Probably because he is," he shrugged.

I looked to him. That was a tiny bit true, but I was still determined to become his friend. "That's not true," I said. He looked at me and shrugged again, "I said probably."

I looked at the time on my phone. It was almost three. "I think I'm gonna go," I said. Kirstie looked like she was going to protest, but Scott nodded and let me, so she shut up. I got up and made sure I had my phone and drink, then said a goodbye and left.

It was almost winter, I could feel it. It was the middle of October, so the cold nipped at my bare skin. I rubbed my arms a little, and people were rushing on the streets impatiently. It was almost like they wanted to see something happen that they were late for, so I eyed them as they went the opposite direction. I realized it was nothing, but I did continue walking nevertheless.

I was then in front of my house and I went up to my door, going inside.

***

Scott Hoying's POV

"I don't," I groaned for what seemed like the third time in the span of seven minutes. Kirstie kept trying to convince me that I had a crush on that guy, despite the fact I didn't know him all that well. Just because he made me smile a little, doesn't mean I am falling for him. She said we get along fine but it seems awkward, and I don't blame her. I did feel a tad uncomfortable, especially since the entire encounter was forced on both our parts.

"He isn't that bad, and I barely know him," she stated. I rolled my eyes, "So? That's the point — you don't even know him, really."

She glared at me, "I haven't known him for long. Don't even tell me that he isn't cute, because he is!"

I felt myself blush a bit, and I won't lie, he was attractive as hell. "Why do you keep focusing on his looks?" I asked. "Just cause he looks good doesn't mean he is."

She scoffed, "And you are?" and then her entire demeanor changed as I felt a pang. "I'm sorry! I didn't... Jesus, Kirstie! I didn't mean it, I promise," she said quietly. I nodded, my cold attitude coming back. "Okay. I think I should leave."

Kirstie pursed her lips, "If you want to, go ahead."

I did as she said, since I wanted to, and I closed my eyes shut as I left the building. That hurt like hell, even if it was very true.

***

a/n:: I apologize for the late update and short chapter.