twenty two

a/n:: lots of time skips & like two POV switches haha

Mitch Grassi's POV

"SOON," KEVIN SMILED. "I PROMISE."

I kept asking my friends when Scott may be back. I get worried when he disappears, and Kirstie telling me she hasn't seen him once isn't helping since she's his best friend.

I knew that none of them knew where he was, but it was a habit of mine - asking things I knew no one had the answer to. "Okay," I sighed, "thanks, Kev."

"Sure thing. Get some sleep, dude," he lightly elbowed me, and I smiled in return as he got up and left my apartment. I looked around, then to my side. Yet another sigh escaped my lips, the only thought clouding my mind being 'Where the hell was Scott?'

***

Scott Hoying's POV

"I'll do it," I said, looking down a little bit, pressing the phone to my ear. "Good," he responded, clearly giddy, even though I was far from being happy. "Yeah, whatever. I'm going to go. Bye," I muttered, and he tried to say it back, but I hung up before he could. I'll just say it was an accident.

Although I'd be anywhere doing anything but instead I was doing what I needed to, I forced myself to get up, leave, and somehow manage to complete this task that wasn't only hurting me but four other people. I ran a hand through my swirly blond hair, then let a puff of air escape my lips as my feet made their way to my destination.

What if he ignores me forever because of this? I thought. I would if I were him and he was me. This is cruel and I don't even want to do it.

I shoved my iPhone into my pocket. I had been procrastinating this for a week or so, I think I should focus on the task at hand. This is why I shouldn't have been in the business in the first place - not like I wanted to be.

***

"I'm glad you're back," Kirstie smiled at me. "Did anything happen? What made you leave again?"

"Nothing happened," I lied. "I just wanted to know if you've been with Mitch recently."

"Oh, a few nights ago, but you were gone. He rejected his own wine and it confused us all, but nonetheless, he's fine. Why?" she responded.

"No reason," and another lie.

"Alright, well, come in," she moved out of the way. "Want me to call Mitch and have him come over?"

"No," I replied, then sighed. "I'm going to tell you some things, okay? And you have to promise not to be mad or annoyed or sad or anything, okay?"

"Alright," she furrowed her eyebrows. "What did you do now?"

*

"You're fucked," was the only thing she said to me after I explained everything. "Gee, thanks," I rolled my eyes. "So you genuinely like him, right?"

I nodded, "I do."

"Then I think you know what you need to do to help you both," she frowned. "It'll hurt but the other outcome isn't exactly daisies and tulips."

"I know, I know. I'll do it today. Just promise not to tell him anything, alright? He can't know," I told her. She nodded, "Of course. Just get it over with, then come back to me and we'll watch Criminal Minds or SpongeBob something with big buckets of ice cream, okay?" She smiled, then I shook my head. "How about you let Mitch do that with you? I have to get to James before midnight."

"Alright," she smiled. "Good luck, Scott," and then with a tight hug, she let me go and I left.

***

Knocking on his door, I let out a deep exhale, then closed my eyes. Once the door opened, I opened them and he stared at me with big eyes. "Hi," he said to me after some silence. "Hi," I greeted back.

"Come in," he almost moved, but I shook my head. "No," I said. "You won't want me to go in."

"Why? Scott, what's wrong?" He stared back at me, worry in his eyes and sadness in mine. "Mitch," I said. "I'm breaking up with you. I don't feel that way about you anymore."

He didn't react at first. Then he nodded, "Wow. You were right."

"What was I right about?" I asked, confused. "You were right about me not wanting you to come inside anymore. Is that it?"

I nodded, "Yeah," and then he nodded back, shutting the door and I looked at the time. Almost ten. I sighed, standing on his doorstep for God knows how long, and then managed to leave, the only feeling being numbness and sadness. I was doing this for him. I was doing this for me. I was doing this for all of us.

***

Mitch Grassi's POV

I figured that when someone breaks up with you after almost two weeks of dating, it wouldn't hurt badly, maybe a tinge but nothing serious. I was wrong. Oh, God, was I wrong.

I didn't even realize I wasn't standing anymore. Just on the ground. Thinking. Staring. Wondering.

Did I do something wrong? Did he think that he liked me, or did he just lie this entire time? Is this why no one but the other three likes Scott? Is he known for breaking hearts?

I swear, if I was a weather report, I'd be a God damned tsunami, but I was the people and buildings and my sadness was the waves overpowering me.

Is this why I was warned so many times not to get too close with him?

After what seemed like hours of just sitting on the ground, my phone started to ring. I looked at it, the caller ID being Kirstie. I sighed, then grabbed it and answered. "What?"

"Mitch," Kirstie said. "I'm coming over now. Scott told me about you two. I'm sorry, honey," she sniffled, "I kind of really shipped you two. Sorry."

"Ship? Never mind. Just hurry, but don't die. Bye," I replied. She said a bye, and then I stopped the call, waiting for Kirstie because I knew I couldn't do this with just myself to comfort me.

I decided to move away from the door, since I was just sitting by it, and then a knock rang throughout the apartment. I didn't know how much time passed, but I just said a bit loudly a 'come in' and it opened, revealing Kirstie with two tubs of something and pretzels. "Hi," she said softly, then set everything down on the couch. I stood up, followed her to the couch, and sat with her. She started to switch through channels, then spoke. "SpongeBob?"

"SpongeBob," I repeated.

She flicked the TV show on easily, handing me a tub of something cold. Vanilla ice cream. "I have chocolate if you want that," she said. I shook my head, "This is fine. Thank you," I slightly smiled at her, and she grinned back. "No problem."

***

a/n:: i'm probably going to make an updating schedule for immune, like once or twice every week. idk lol. and if y'all want, you can go follow me on Twitter at @/ptxashley. i'm always up for talking to you guys on there. 🌚