nineteen

Scott Hoying's POV

AFTER THE DAY WE GOT Mitch's hair dyed, I asked him out on another date and he obliged. I wanted to make sure this one was as fun as the first, but I didn't know what to do, so I did the only thing I thought was the best thing to do. Go to Kirstie.

What I expected was different from what I got. She started to squeal, telling me she had no idea we even went out on a first date, and eventually she calmed down and gave me a list of second date suggestions. Literally a list, a paper filled with them. She created it within seconds, thrusting it into my hands once she was done.

"Really?" I chuckled. "This is a lot. Where'd you get all these?"

"Oh, just my dream dates, that's all," she shrugged sheepishly. I shrugged also, "Well, thank you. I'll use one of these."

The first one my eyes laid on was the word aquarium. It seemed interesting to me, and Mitch had told me at one point he liked water, and this didn't involve any particular skill that Mitch didn't possibly have so I didn't have to teach him anything.

"This one?" I asked her, pointing to the aquarium one. She looked at it with a big grin, "Please do!"

I smiled back, a genuine one. Eventually, she left, and I was stuck with worrying about the second date with Mitch because of how paranoid I was that I'd somehow screw it up.

***

"Calm down," Kirstie said to me over the phone as I drove to Mitch's. "You didn't fuck up on the first, why are you so scared now?"

"I don't know," I groaned. "But if I do, then what?"

"Just focus on Mitch. He's the love of your life, he will calm you down—" and I stopped her. "Love of my life?" I repeated.

"Don't lie to yourself. Anyways, have fun. Don't worry about it, I have to go. Bye, Scott," she said. I let a sigh pass my lips, "Bye."

Then I heard the beep indicating she hung up, and soon out came Mitch, probably waiting for me this entire time judging by the fact he came out right as I got there. He stared at the ground as he was walking toward the car, and then when he got in, he looked at me. "So you're going to tell me where we're going this time, right?"

"Maybe. I'll think about it," I said, a small smile growing on my face. I started the car again and drove out.

"Scott," he whined. "I'll think you're trying to kill me, then."

"So be it."

"Next time I'm planning this entire thing and you won't know where we're going and we'll drive for maybe hours—" he kept rambling and when I pulled into the aquarium which wasn't far from his house at all, maybe seven minutes away, his jaw dropped and a light appeared in his eyes that I hadn't seen before. He grinned, hurrying out of the car before I even parked it, and when I got out, he went to my side of the car, grabbed my hand, and dragged me to the entrance.

"Mitch," I laughed. "Calm down."

"I love fish, you don't understand," Mitch said all too quickly. It was adorable seeing him that way, and so I let him haul me there silently.

He couldn't keep himself still when we talked to one of the workers and paid. He kept shifting feet, fidgeting his hands, playing with his fingers, and moving his arms around, looking around frantically.

"Have a nice time," the woman smiled at us. I nodded in response and this time, I poked Mitch to make sure he wasn't too out of it. He looked up at me for a moment, then his arms landed around my shoulders, pulling me in for a hug. I chuckled at his obvious excitement. "Thank you," Mitch let out a breath. I then pulled him closer by the small of his back, his head resting on my shoulder.