Chapter 4

I ' M  C O M I N G  O U T  O F  M Y  C A G E 
A N D  I ' V E  B E E N  D O I N G  J U S T  F I N E.

Sophia

The annoying alarm woke me at quarter to seven, too early in my opinion but it was my first day at this new school and I needed to make a good impression.

I swung my legs out of bed and went downstairs to find my brother- who was cooking pancakes "hi," I smiled and he smiled back and handed me a plate "thanks, this isn't gonna kill me?"

"O ye of little faith." He scoffed.

I was in a happy mood despite having to go in school, he came down half a hour later actually wearing a tee shirt with his sweats and picked up his keys to the Charger, I got up and shouldered my backpack, pulling a face at my brother.

The ride to school was quiet, or well it was, until my brother pulled out a tape from the centre console with a grin.

I responded with a blank look.

He slotted the cassette in and turned the dial up, filling the car with a distinctive guitar osinato.

"Sing along time!" He laughed, "remember?"

"Oh god no."

I wiggled around in my car seat, the only thing I could do that could be considered dancing whilst being so heavily restrained by a seat belt.

"It started out with a kiss. How did it end up like this? It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss." My brother sung quietly, tapping along to the tune on the leather steering wheel.

Mama laughed and shook her head, she wasn't a fan of Don's choice of music, she kept on suggesting we listened to 'good old Dolly' whoever that was.

I think I liked my brothers music.

"Now they're going to bed, and my stomach is sick, and it's all in my head but she's touching his chest now, he takes off her dress now. Let me go." I sung along, out of tune but very much at full volume.

"There's something terrifying about my five year old singing those words so happily." Mama commented.

"Five and two-thirds." I corrected seriously, four months to go, and hopefully Mama could be there and not have yucky chemicals attached to her.

That's where Dom was taking us, Mama had an appointment, I don't know why you had to book a time? It's not like people are fighting to get hooked up to strange sounding bags of clear chemicals for the thrill of it. I didn't really see the point, they always made her feel so gross and tired all the time; it wasn't like they were helping.

"It's okay," my brother assured her "do you know what that means, Dimples?"

"Nope." I popped the P, "now that you've got a permit will you take me out for ice cream."

"Sure, we'll go after Dad's race at the weekend."

Dom laughed, and gestured with his hand "come on, just one song."

I shook my head "nope, no songs."

"And I just can't look, it's killing me and taking control." My brother sung along, glancing over at me expectedly.

Sighing in defeat, I burst out "Jealousy, turning saints into the sea. Swimming through sick lullabies, choking on your alibis, but it's just the price I pay, destiny is calling me. Open up my eager eyes 'cause I'm Mr Brightside."