Chapter 13

F O R N O W I T ' S T I M E T O R U N,
I T ' S T I M E T O R U N!

Sophia

I tightened the final bolt and took a step back to admire my hard work, a pristine Challenger SRT Demon, Dom just wanted to sell it on after Brian won it last night but I asked if I could have it as my own car, since I'd just been using his Roadrunner and the Mustang was crushed up in a junk yard.

That was if I could actually drive without being on borderline of a panic attack.

"I still don't think it's as good as the classic's," Dom stated as he came in, "finished the service?"

"Everything doing good, except my gas bills." I replied, wiping my hands and placing the ratchet back in my tool chest. "Maybe, just maybe, a challenger in the seventies may be better."

"Have you changed the interior?" He asked, stopping to survey the exterior.

"Yeah I put those SPARCO black leather racing seats and a 5 point harnesses in the front and the seats in the back are gone plus I added a NOS tank in and it's wired to this switch here," I explained while pointing at the space behind the steering wheel. "Other than the NOS I'm not changing anything in the engine bay, I don't think I'm going to be racing much anyway."

"Dimples, I want to show you something." He said, gesturing for me to follow, leading me away from the garage.

Strangely enough, we headed to the house, and back to the rarely used single garage that sat behind the barn that housed all of Dad's tools and the Charger he and Dom built; I'd personally forgot it was there, it was full of old boxes of stuff, memories that we hadn't necessarily cherished enough to keep in the house but enough to not throw them away.

Dom opened the rusty lock and pulled the wooden door to reveal a car which was half built in front of the stacks of boxes, "she's a 1970 Challenger, me and Dad were building it for you for when you were old enough, now that Dad is gone I just wondered if you wanted to help finish it with me?" Dom asked.

I stared awestruck at the car, it was dusty and covered in a flaky paint and dust, missing half the engine, but it was perfect.

My own memory of Dad.

"Of course!" I replied and hugged him, "can we start on it after barbecue?" I questioned, eager to get the car that had sat idle for sixteen years up and running.

"Yea, but you're the helper at the moment, you're still healing." He stipulated, pointing at my stomach. Since I had open surgery to remove my spleen rather than a laparoscopic surgery due to the blood loss, my scar stretched much further and was taking a little longer to heal than the laparoscopic incisions.

We walked back down, where the smell of lunch wafted in the air, Dom headed over to Letty, who was playing with Ava Marie, whilst I went to find my sister, as I knew it was her day to cook.

"Hello my favourite sister" I greeted, taking a seat on the table and grabbing a carrot.

"Hello, my only sister," she replied. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Helping." I defended, my mouth full of carrot. "Have you heard anything back from the police?"

I think they thought it was a prank, if so it wasn't a funny one.

"Nothing yet, we've got a couple of friends asking around as well." Mia paused so she could look me in the eye "you have nothing to worry about, Dimples."

I shrugged under her gaze "so how's the move going?"

"Fine." She smiled "it seems weird to not be part of the family, but it was time we moved into our own place. Again."