Chapter 11

M A M A  S A I D  D O N ' T  G I V E  U P, 
I T ' S  A  L I T T L E  C O M P L I C A T E D.

Sophia

"Sophia, I need you to do the grocery shop." Mia sighed, popping her head around the door, causing me to stick my head out from my duvet burrow.

"Sure." I mumbled, then sat up properly as he words registered in my sleep-addled brain "by myself?"

Mia nodded, looking back at something in the hallway "I know it's not ideal but I've written you a list so it'll be really quick."

It's been nearly a week since the beach and I haven't left the house alone since, not even to get my extra vaccinations.

"It's not the list I'm worried about." I mumbled, flopping back into my bed for an extra half an hour but my alarm went off.

My antibiotics.

I grabbed the large pill and swallowed it with the glass of OJ Mia left beside it.

My sister may actually be an angel.

Changing into a pair of sweats and a tee-shirt, I shoved my feet in my black and white Vans. If I do it now it's over and future Sophia can thank me.

"Mia I'm leaving," I called into the living room, all I got in reply was a groan, I looked around the corner to see Mia hugging her bump and clear water pooling around her feet, the realisation hit me hard.

Her waters just broke.

"Mia, Mia it's going to be fine," I said guiding her over on the sofa, I slipped my phone out of my back pocket and dialled Brian's number, he picked up after the first few rings "hi Brian I need you to head to the hospital, Mia and I are going to be heading there now."

"What why?"

"Baby, Brian. She's having the baby."

"Okay, on my way now." He responded, ending the call moments later.

I took the stairs two at a time, shooting into Mia's room and grabbing some new clothes and her hospital bag.

Tossing her clothes at her, I went out and shoved the bag in the backseat.

"Mia, what hospital do you go to?" I questioned, "is it the Silver Lake one?"

"Yeah, did you grab the hospital bag?"

I nodded, fiddling with the keys to my brothers car.

I helped Mia out to the car, before stopping by the drivers side, my hand lingering on the handle.

Just get in the fucking car Sophia.

Exhaling slowly, I slipped into the drivers seat. My hands were shaking badly as I tried to jam the keys into the ignition, resulting in them landing on the floor.

"Sophia, I can drive, the contractions are mild and it's only a 15 minute drive."

Do this one thing for your sister, Sophia. Suck it up.

"No, it's fine." I mumbled, retrieving the keys and concentrating on actually inserting them ignition.

I felt the vibrations of the engine through the steering wheel, causing me to grip it tighter.

Deep breath in. Deep breath out.

I reversed out the driveway and headed down the road. "Do you mind putting Maps on or something?" I asked through gritted teeth.

In. Out.

Anything. Anything to distract me.

The car filled up with the mechanical voice of Siri as it guided me off Kensington Road.