The Tale of the Sun and the Moon

Disclaimer: I, 3Yroi3, DO NOT own Naruto or Naruto Shippuden and all it's blazing glory. But, I do own the characters of my creation, such as Kana, and the plot line of this book.

-------
Naruto's Point Of View

        I walked in as Karuma was talking with Kana. It was weird...it seemed like she had been avoiding me since yesterday. Karuma saw and waved me over, and Kana made to stand up.

        "Kana? Why are you leaving?" Karuma said and Kana sat back down. I took a seat across from her and Karuma offered me some tea.

        "No, thank you. Now, why did you call me here?" Naruto asked and Karuma sighed. Naruto watched as the red-headed nine tails set down his cup.

        "Let me tell you the story about how the Sun loved the Moon so much that he died each night so she could breathe." Naruto's eyes widened as he listened to Karuma, and nodded slowly. He faintly remembered the old Wive's tale.

        "There was once a young man who possessed a heart of gold. But this man was the descendent of a very powerful bloodline, and so his head was sought continuously. Thus, the man was driven into solitude, where he longed for the touch of another being, for the kiss of a fair maiden. Then one day, while the night took over watch of the earth, a man with skin the shade of gold came to find the young man. He said, "Let there be light where you have only seen darkness.' And raised his hand to the young man's forehead. The young man asked him, 'Why have you sought me? To capture and enslave? Or to kill me and take my head as a prize?' The older man shook his head, and gestured to the walls." Karuma said, and Naruto watched him with wide eyes as he continued the story.

        "He said, 'These walls have kept you from seeing what destiny awaits you, and the changes there has been in time.' The young man shook his head, but the older one walked toward the door. 'Each day,' he said, 'The night and day trade off, taking turns of watching over the Earth we love. But for there to be light, there must always be darkness.' He said but the young man did not understand him.

        "The man turned away from him and moved to open the door. 'You have been trusted with many things, some petty, some small, but the task I now give you will be only yours to bear alone.' He said and the young man still did not understand the man. 'What task has been entrusted to me?' He asked and the older man laughed. 'You shall be the guardian of the light, the ruler of the day. You shall be the sun.'" Karuma said and Kana smiled.

        "The younger man watched in shock as the older man made to leave. 'Wait!' He said and the man turned to him. 'How am I to guard the day when I'm only human?' The older man's eyes gleamed with mischief as he grinned. 'Some things, my friend,' he said, 'Are not to be spoken.' And with that the older man disappeared. Confused, the younger man was about to return to his chambers when he realized something. What that man had said, be it discreetly, was that he was permitted outside! Then, the young man ran past his walls and into the moon's silver light. Gazing up at it's beauty, he felt an urge to head east. And for the entire night, he ran to the shore until he could no longer run."

        "Now, as the moon began to sink into the west, the man's skin began to shine. Soon, as the moon's last gleam slipped beneath the horizon, he watched as he came to the gates of a glorious castle. As he began walking toward the castle, the gates swung open, revealing a smiling man. The young man grinned as he recognized him as the older man from before. 'Hello,' he said, and the older man bowed his head. 'My Lord.' He said, and the young man was confused by the title.

        "'Since when have I been a Lord?' He said and the older man grinned. 'Since the moment you walked through those gates.' He said, and the young man walked toward him. Then, he noticed how the older man seemed paler than before. 'What's happened to you?' He asked, and the older man smiled sadly. 'My time here is slowly coming to an end.' And the younger man was shocked by the news. But soon the older man's figure began to shimmer. 'It seems I've outstayed my welcome.' He said, and slowly, his skin turned to sunlight and the young man vowed to live up to his expectations."

"Then, as years went by, he took up the duties and became the sun. Every day the young man would transform into a brilliant sphere of blazing light and illuminate the world in glorious light. People praised him in poems and songs, worshipped him and called him their God. But as time passed, he began to feel lonely. After a while, he came to see it as a different form of solitude, if not crueler. Then, just as he was beginning to fade and revert back to his human form, he caught a glimpse of a beautiful woman. Unlike him, her skin was pale and white, and her hair a mix between silver and blue. When she opened her eyes, he saw they were a brilliant blue, wise and knowing. Just as he was to shoot from the sky he realized something. He was in love." Karuma said, and Kana tilted her head.

"But how could he be? He'd seen her only once and hadn't even spoken to her!" She said and Karum laughed.

"Kana," he said, "Have you ever heard of Love At First Sight?" Kana shook her head, and Karuma smiled.

"Love is complicated and yet simple at the same time. It has highs and lows and times where you feel as if your heart is breaking. And yet, love is a feeling one developed for someone precious to them." He said, and Naruto looked away.

"Well, let's get back to the story." Karuma said, noticing it.

"From then on, every time he rose or fell, the young man would eagerly look for the woman. By then, he had come to know she was the Moon, his partner. Then, on a day that only occurred rarely, the two met in an event like no other. The two came to face each other, and the world was shadowed in a small darkness. She seemed surprised when she saw him, but he did not. But, just like him, she'd taken notice of her partner, and had yearned to meet him face to face. The sun was the first to speak, he said 'I have wanted to meet you for a long time.' He said and the moon sighed. 'I have as well.' She said in a soft voice that was soothing and kind."

"There were only a few minutes before their time was up, and the sun hurried to confess his feelings. Knowing this, the moon stopped him. 'Don't you dare discard your light for my dreadful darkness.' She told him, and the sun watched her with confused eyes. 'I belong in darkness, to shed solitary moonlight while you give illuminate the world in a beautiful gold. Give that light to people who deserve it.' She said, and the sun wished he could return to his hide away. Then, the two began to pull apart, and the moon turned away before he could see the tears she was shedding. As he fell back down, the sun glanced toward the moon and decided that he would not run away. Instead, he would continue on, breaking a little bit each day just so she would smile." Karuma said, and silence followed his words. Naruto sat with his eyes cast down, and Kana was gazing at the sky. After a moment, Naruto stood without meeting their eyes. Karuma watched with concern as he muttered an 'excuse me' and left the room, never once lifting his eyes up from the ground. Kana had turned to Karuma with shocked eyes.

        "Did we upset him?" She asked and Karuma sighed.

        "I think we have."

----------
Okay, so...how did you like the story of the Sun and Moon? Tell me your thoughts in the comments and don't forget to vote! Why do you think Karuma decided to tell Kana and Naruto that story? Tell me what you think! Why is he upset? So...until next time!

                                                ~ 3Yori3