Chapter IX

I was far away enough now. I was away from the commotion. I was away from harm. I leaned against a tree and slid down it, burying my head between my knees. I stayed like that for what felt like an hour - shakily breathing in and out - before I heard the crunching sound of dry leaves being stepped on. I wanted to believe it was Rowan coming to appologise, but I couldn’t smell the comforting scent.

“Are you okay?” A deep, masculine voice asked.

I looked up into a pair of dark green eyes. The man was crouched down at my level and looking at me with a worried expression on my face. A sense of deja vu washed over me as I quickly rubbed my eyes.

He sat down next to me. “I’ve seen you at a couple of these gatherings. I’m River, beta of the Golden Eye pack.” He smiled proudly. “And you?”

“Jay,” I stated. “Red Wing - no - Silver Talon pack.”

Now that I had a look at him, River was pretty good-looking. He had dark hair, chocolate skin and a lean yet muscular physique. He was attractive, but would never compare to Rowan. He smiled, flashing white teeth. “Why the confusion?” He asked.

I leaned back against the tree and sighed. “Promise not to think I’m weird?” I asked and he nodded. I began to tell him about my situation. I don’t know why, but I felt comfortable talking to him.

When I finished, River looked stunned. “Wow...” he breathed. “So, your brother’s an asshole, you’re gay, and your mate is straight?” He clarified.

I laughed. “I should’ve just said that.” I looked up at him. “But thanks; now that that’s off my chest I feel a lot better.”

“No problem,” River said. “But now I feel like I should tell you about my internal problems.”

I nodded. “Lay it on me.”

River had had a mate called Ruby - named that because of her dark pink eyes. They had fallen in love instantly. However, while pregnant with their first child, Ruby had fallen ill and had died during childbirth along with their child.

All while telling me this, River had kept a straight face; but that didn’t stop my eyes from watering and tears eventually spilling from them.

“Hey, don’t cry,” River said, wiping a tear away with his thumb. He smiled. “Now that I think about it, you kind of look like her.”

I felt my face flush. “I’m a guy. You know that, right?” I asked.

River laughed. “Of course I know that. But that doesn’t stop you from being pretty.” He gently tucked a lock of hair behind my ear. “Hey, have you tried to make him jealous?”

“Huh?”

“Have you tried to make your mate jealous?” River repeated.

I shook my head. “Does that work?” I asked.

“It’s worth a shot, right? What have you got to lose?”

He had a point. “I don’t think I know anyone who would help me with that.”

“I would,” River grinned.

I stared at him. “Is this your way of coming onto me?” I asked quietly, breaking into a smile.

He nodded. “Is it working?”

“Not really,” I replied and laughed. I was relieved to have someone to talk to like this. If River really meant what he said, then perhaps I could make Rowan realise that we’re mates. It was time for some teamwork.

~~*~~

A week after the party, a car pulled up in front of the main house. Everyone gathered on the porch to see who the visitor was, and when the door opened River stepped out. His eyes searched the crowd before his gaze landed on me. Now, I had to play my part.

I made my way down the porch steps and ran into his arms. River laughed and picked me up, twirling me around before setting me back on the ground. From out of the corner of my eye, I saw Rowan tense.

River’s arm snaked around my waist and we faced the pack.

Rowan stepped forward. “What business does the Golden Eye’s beta have here?” He asked, glaring at River.

River smiled. “Why, I was just coming to visit my partner.” He glared back at Rowan. “Is that wrong?”

My mate now looked at me. “Is this true?” He asked.

I had never seen him so angry before. Rowan was usually so nice and gentle. I didn’t know how to respond. I looked away from him and nodded, guiltily burying my face in River’s shoulder.

Rowan grunted and walked off, and the rest of the crowd dissolved. River followed me into the house and into the living room.

“Get changed,” he said. “I’m taking you out.”

I gave him a quizzical look.

“What kind of a boyfriend would I be if I didn’t take you out on dates?” River asked, making me blush.

I nodded and walked to my room. I slipped on a nicer t-shirt than the one I was wearing and pulled some skinny jeans on, fixing my hair in the mirror before running back down the stairs.

Rowan was in the living room when I arrived at the bottom of the stair, and seeing him made my heart skip a beat. The smile fell off of my face when I noticed the glare on his face. Maybe I had taken it too far. Rowan ran a hand through his dark hair. “Have fun,” he said bitterly and walked away.

I wanted to follow him. I wanted to tell him that it was all an act to get him to like me more. But I had already started this fake relationship with River, and I couldn’t pull out now.

River’s arm wrapped around my waist and he guided me outside to his car.

I cast one last glance at Rowan, who was now standing in the doorway, before getting into the passenger seat and driving to the nearby town with River. Was this really the best decision?