Chapter XIII

Yet again, they had taken my glasses. I sighed, trying to ignore the dull headache that was now turning into a pounding migraine. I could tell what Cole was planning. He wanted me to shift and stay in my wolf form - a family pet, so to speak.

But I wouldn’t give into his plan. I was sitting on the back porch, head between my legs, and trying not to throw up.

I felt a hand rest on my back and I flinched, panicking.

“Hey,” Perry’s voice came from beside me and I felt him brush by my side as he sat down. “How are you holding up?”

I pursed my lips and shook my head, feeling Perry’s arm wrap around my shoulders.

“I have something for you,” Perry whispered, taking an object from his pocket. “Come with me,” he said, taking my wrist and leading me into the house. When we stopped, we seemed to be in the bathroom. “You’ve never put contact lenses in before, right?”

I smiled and shook my head.

“Hold still.” Perry’s fingers shakily slid the contact lens over my eye and I blinked. When he finished applying the other one, I sighed in relief and thanked him. Perry smiled and shook his head. “No problem,” he said. “But try to act like you can’t see when the others are around. You don’t want them to find out about this.”

I nodded. Before Perry could leave, I hugged him around the waist, thanking him as many times as I could. I blinked again and let him go, now peering into the mirror. I had never been able to see myself without my glasses before. The thick lenses normally made my eyes look out of proportion to the rest of my face, but they were normal now - aside from the bright red irises, of course.

Leaving the bathroom and grabbing the banister, I pretended to stumble back down the stairs.

Cole was waiting for me, laughing at my uncoordinated behaviour. I resisted the urge to glare at him. It would give me away if I did. Instead, I stared in his basic direction. Cole moved and my neck twitched so I could follow his movements with hearing.

I looked around, pretending to stretch my neck. Perry was leaned against the wall, as if trying to avoid my eldest brother. A dull purple bruise was evident on his cheek and he seemed to be nursing it with a soothing massage.

Cole turned and looked straight at Perry. “Oh, you’re wondering about the bruises.” He smirked. “Well, I figured that a little punishment for the sidekick-thief was in order.” Cole let out a short laugh. “You should have seen his face when I asked them if they knew anything about the documents. The kid looked so scared.

I let out a growl as I faced Cole. I didn’t care about him finding about the contacts anymore.

But Cole just laughed again. “You think you’re going to challenge me? Fight me? You’ve forgotten that you’re weak, Runt.” He left the room. “But if you really have forgotten, I’ll be waiting in the yard.”

I turned to Perry. “Help me get these contacts out. They won’t be useful when I’m in wolf form.”