Chapter XI

More months went by and the children had started to shift and talk. Although I had been worried about their development, they were growing at a perfectly normal rate. Since they were born in wolf form, they would grow at the speed that a dog would until their second year. Now, they were about the size of a five-year-old and could form coherent sentences.

While the pups were playing with their toys, Marble climbed up on the couch next to me. He leaned against me and sighed.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, a smile stretching onto my face.

“Nothing,” Marble replied. “You smell nice.”

I held a laugh in. “What do I smell like?” I asked.

“A mother,” he stated simply.

I froze, shocked for a second. “You know, I’m not really your mother, right?”

Marble shrugged. “Can you be?” He asked.

By now, the others had stopped playing and were listening in on the conversation. They seemed to agree with Marble’s idea and they nodded.

I smiled softly. “Why would you want that?”

Marble pursed his lips. “You like dad, right?”

I choked on my own saliva. “What makes you think that?” I asked, recovering from my coughing fit.

“Aunty Willow told me.” he replied.

I forced myself not to roll my eyes. Of course she told them. Even though I hadn’t told anyone in the pack about my feelings for Rowan, it didn’t stop Willow from being awfully perceptive; it was almost scary.

Thinking I might as well play along, I popped Marble onto my lap. “And do you mind if I like your dad?”

Marble shook his head. “I don’t mind. I think you should get married.” He suggested.

Jade nodded furiously from her spot on the ground.

I bit my lip gently. Was I influencing these kids too much? I chuckled nervously. “Somehow, I don’t think that will happen.”

“Why not?”

I sighed. “Well, your dad doesn’t really like me in the same way that I like him.” I tried to explain.

“You’d be surprised.” A voice came from the doorway. Willow smiled apologetically at my red face. “He cares a lot more about you than you think. Why else would he have fought that other guy?” Her expression turned dark. “That was a joke, right? That relationship with the Golden Eye beta.”

I flinched at her scary expression and nodded quickly.

Willow relaxed. “Good,” she said, taking Marble off my lap and placing him on the floor with the others. She smiled. “I knew it. My brother’s thick when it comes to people liking him. You shouldn’t think about it too much.”

I drew my legs up to my chest and rested my head on my knees. “But he hates me,” I said, feeling tears well up in my eyes.

“He doesn’t hate you,” Willow explained. “Like I said, he’s just dense.” She rolled her eyes. “He probably already knows you’re his mate and just doesn’t realise. If you wait, I’m sure thing will work out.”

I nodded and went to pick Marble up again, but he was gone. I frowned and looked around, panicked. He wasn’t with the others.

“Jay!” Rowan emerged from his study, holding Marble.

My eyes widened. He had told. Marble had probably told Rowan everything.

“Can we talk?” Rowan asked, setting the boy back down onto the ground.

I squeaked nervously.