Chapter 1

Penny

The shiny, soapy spheres twist out of my window.
One of them catches on the curtain, and pops; I think about how unfair this is. All the rest got a chance to fly and find their goal in life, yet this one was ended before it even began. No one should be treated like that. All bubbles should be equal, for God's sake.
A dull throbbing in my forehead tells me I've been frowning too long.
I blow more bubbles and squint at their spiralling rainbows, illuminated in the sunlight.
They make it past the lurking curtains and I smile slightly.
"Penelope!"
Huh?
"What are you doing? Christ's sake, bubbles are for little kids. You're seventeen!"
Oh, my mother. I shrug. "I like them."
"I don't care. Put that silly stuff away and get some studying done!" She's standing, leaning in my doorway, with her arms crossed in that all-too-familiar 'I'm pissed' stance. "What will we do with you? You're away with the fairies, Penelope. What will I tell Neil? Oh wait, he doesn't care. That's right - he'd rather take you to the damn duck pond. I swear to God, that man..."
I've stopped listening, and she's gone by the time I look up. I don't let it grate on me that she calls me by my full name, even though I hate it. I know she does it to get on my nerves.
"Leave the girl alone, Helen. Let her dream!"
I hear Dad speaking in a raised voice downstairs, and grin. Then there's the scraping sound of the door shutting, and a muffled argument begins.
I turn on my radio.
I dance around, twirling my dress, though the shouts beneath me are offbeat.